cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Month of Haggis (and other tasty bits)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
On Tuesday we're celebrating Hogmanay and January 25th is Burns Night so I ordered two American haggis from Scottish Gourmet USA. One of these days I think I'll try making my own. Maybe for next year.

Others will be providing the rest of the board with traditional Scottish fare:

• Cockaleekie Soup
  • Neeps and tatties (Rutabaga and potatoes)
  • Bannock bread
  • Venison pies and Forfar Bridies
  • Rumbledethumps
  • Sweets - Cranachan, Burrebrede (Scottish shortbread), Black Bun and Tipsy Laird Trifle
  • Whisky and Ales

Then we do it all again for Burns Supper on Burns Night.

Since I have to arrive early with the haggis I'm never the first foot. That's usually left to a designated relative of the host.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
14 REPLIES 14

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Had occasion to sample a true haggis some years ago whilst traveling for work....interesting and actually tasty once the preconceptions were set aside.

This past Saturday, in between toasts and salutes, had haggis that was created by the local (AK) venue for the Burns Supper (locally called "*** 20th Annual Haggis Bashers Ball and Burns Night Supper"). The venue actually did a pretty good job...better job of creating the haggis substitute than the prime rib main course. 😞

The piping was good though and the water of life helped things along.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
Unless you were being starved by the Engish, why would any human voluntarily eat Haggis? It is a dreadful visceral mixed with grains and has the appearance of dog wretch.

LOL....doesn't tempt the palate? I'm pretty sure the modern commercial version is light on the innards, and not stuffed into a Sheeps colon. Probably closer to a generic hotdog on a larger scale.

:B I'm sure the Chieftain of the Puddin' Race that resides in ye Old Country will put hair on anyone's chest.

The American Chieftain we serve up in the USA is USA made and is very tasty. You can read about it here.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Unless you were being starved by the Engish, why would any human voluntarily eat Haggis? It is a dreadful visceral mixed with grains and has the appearance of dog wretch.

LOL....doesn't tempt the palate? I'm pretty sure the modern commercial version is light on the innards, and not stuffed into a Sheeps colon. Probably closer to a generic hotdog on a larger scale.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
My hosts didn’t do any saining as they don’t have livestock. Many Christian families don’t do it because of the close association with old druidic practice. Probably why the practice has nearly died out.

Magnus

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased from SGUSA before, and find their fare very good. Did you find that the burning juniper branch took a while to air out after the saining?
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was the most successful Hogmanay yet. 138 people came and our friends' house was packed. Word has gotten round. Good thing they have a large home.

There were 3 pipers there which means they stood on the deck playing with the windows open so guests can hear the music without needing ear plugs because of the decibel level. With all the food everyone ate their fill and then took some home. No one came empty handed. Fortunately there were 20 lbs of haggis or there would not have been enough. Four of us each brought a 5 pounder and everyone had a taste. But there were calls for more so it looks like we'll need to bring 40 lbs next year.

All in all a very satisfying Hogmanay.

Magnus

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Old Islander wrote:
If you ever need to communicate with a genuine Scot, here is a handy English to Scottish translator that might help. http://www.scotranslate.com/

Your link isn't working.

Hmmmm, works for me... I'll try again...

http://www.scotranslate.com/

Edit: nope, can't seem to paste in the link. Try googling #1 English to Scottish Translator

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Venison, Sweets, Whiskey and Ale was all I understood in your post.

I need to get out more. :S

I'll stick to those:B

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old Islander wrote:
If you ever need to communicate with a genuine Scot, here is a handy English to Scottish translator that might help. http://www.scotranslate.com/

Your link isn't working.

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:

You can do a search on the internet for the rest :W I had to learn about it all a few years ago and found a ton of info on the internet. Rampant Scotland is a good place to start.

For example, I've run your comment above through it, and it suggested this:

"Ye kin dae a search oan th' inturnet fur th' rest ah hud tae learn aboot it a' a few years ago 'n' fun a ton o' info oan th' inturnet. Rampant scootlund is a guid steid tae stairt."

😉

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a wonderful feast!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:

You can do a search on the internet for the rest :W I had to learn about it all a few years ago and found a ton of info on the internet. Rampant Scotland is a good place to start.

Magnus

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer