cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C vs Class A - Length

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I did a search here for "Class C Length" in the subject and it returned no results. So I want to throw this out as a new post. How does the living area length of a Class C compare to a Class A? In other words: How much longer would a Class C be to have the same living area length as a Class A? I'm guessing it's not only the length of the "dog house", but also the length of the engine compartment.

(My quick and dirty image search says that's about 6 feet.)
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
14 REPLIES 14

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the biggest difference in interior space between a Class A and a Class C (gasser) of similar lengths is that the floor/ceiling space in a Class A is mostly all on the same level except for the engine bay cover and the door steps. Not so with the Class C. In a Class C, the lower driver and front passenger floor space (and less headroom due to the overhead bunk) causes that space to be much less flexible which is very important functionally. Of course, various models differ due to their design.

Chum lee

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing to do is start kiking tires and look at both A and C units, wife found an A unit that she liked, then we saw a C unit of the same length, the A unit only had a dinette no couch and of course the queen bed in rear, small counter in the galley shower on one side and head on opposite side, the C has a queen bed on the overhead, left side door, dinette, refrigerator, stove with oven micro above then comes the sink in front of the rear window and then the the head in rear and left with shower, sink, toilet and cabinets above and bellow, then we have a pantry with a drawer under and a two door closet with 2 drawers under, then we have a couch that converts to a bed, no slides and we have been traveling since we retiered in 2008, look at what you need rather than what looks good or novel, we actually have more strorage than the A and that includes the generator.

navegator

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
If you’re a ‘camper’ who wants a mobile hotel room with big screen TV, you’ll want the A, if you’re a camper who wants a hard-sided tent with washroom, kitchen and beds and spend most of your time outside, you’ll be very happy with the C.

X2
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
GTO66 wrote:
I would think a super c would be closer to a class A.

A super C can be very big, but I can't afford a super C. Well, maybe I could, but it's not in my budget. That's two different things for me.

I'm trying to compare a regular Class C to a Class A. And even in a Super C you're going to lose a lot of living area length with the front end and driver's section. Even more lost than in a regular C.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I would think a super c would be closer to a class A.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
Comparing a C and an A of equal length, they are about the same height and width. An A typically has more usable living space, since the front two seats usually swivel backwards and are on about the same level as the floor of the coach area. C seats are much lower and set apart from the living area. However, if the overhang in a C is configured as a bed, then the C offers more sleeping space. A lot of folks will say it's easier to drive a C, but I think an A of the same length is easier to drive due to better visibility and a tighter cramp (turning) angle on the front axle.

This may be my favorite answer. I forgot about the overhead bed in the Class C. But, the small Class A I'm looking at also has a power overhang bed, so in some ways it's the best of both worlds. But in that Class A you may not be able to use the swiveling seats much when the overhang is lowered. So, maybe it's not so perfect. I was thinking we might use that overhang area for storage, but if I can't drive with it down that idea goes "out the window".

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Comparing a C and an A of equal length, they are about the same height and width. An A typically has more usable living space, since the front two seats usually swivel backwards and are on about the same level as the floor of the coach area. C seats are much lower and set apart from the living area. However, if the overhang in a C is configured as a bed, then the C offers more sleeping space. A lot of folks will say it's easier to drive a C, but I think an A of the same length is easier to drive due to better visibility and a tighter cramp (turning) angle on the front axle.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You lose a lot of space in a C due to the hood and driving compartment especially if the two from seats aren’t usable while parked. In my 31ft A both chairs rotate and we use them all the time. There is a fold up table between the chairs on the doghouse. With triple slides and one being a FWS we have plenty of room. The front dash is used as a place to temporality put things such as attraction pamphlets. What space is left is used as an observation platform for our two small dogs.

As far as storage bins, short A’s have plenty of storage doors, but many aren’t useful as storage. Many are taken up with holding tanks, generators, electrical components. The same is true for C’s.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“if you’re a camper who wants a hard-sided tent with washroom, kitchen and beds and spend most of your time outside,” Bingo!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

I can tell you for an absolute fact that there is no simple equation here. The coach floor plan makes all the difference.

We have a 23'A (73 GMC), neighbor has a 26'C (98 Wini). We have more usable space.
Late Sis and BIL had an 18'A (Clark/Cortez) that worked well for they and two daughters. It was a little tight, but they made it work for weeks at a time.

An Associate has a 32'A (forgot build), and when we travel together, they come to our coach to sit and talk.

So, Shop a lot, go to shows and dealers and think about how you will use it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
DallasSteve wrote:
How does the living area length of a Class C compare to a Class A? In other words: How much longer would a Class C be to have the same living area length as a Class A?

One important factor that you don’t mention is the use and by whom?

A friend of mine got rid of his 34’ A and got a 24’ C for he and his wife, son & daughter.

In his case the fact that the much shorter but had 3 beds (2 set up full time) instead of just 2 was huge. It also means he has a queen bed in a unit with no slides.

Once you’ve driven both in an urban environment you’ll see the other difference, it’s like driving a cube van instead of a school bus. Try parking a school bus in a standard space in a parking lot.

If you’re a ‘camper’ who wants a mobile hotel room with big screen TV, you’ll want the A, if you’re a camper who wants a hard-sided tent with washroom, kitchen and beds and spend most of your time outside, you’ll be very happy with the C.

BTW, I have 1 of each, for all of the above reasons and more.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
"In other words: How much longer would a Class C be to have the same living area length as a Class A? I'm guessing it's not only the length of the "dog house", but also the length of the engine compartment."

Width, height are fairly similar in either. Our Navion has about the same distance from the windshield to the "living area" behind it, as our Sunstar 26HE had. The only difference is the Navion doesn't have a doghouse. The Sunstar did.
Also depends on the floorplan. Most C and entry level A class coaches have similar living areas, including a galley, opposite a couch and dinette, usually situated in a slide, or slides.
So the answer would be whichever one is longer, overall, will probably give you the most "living area".
I would have thought this would be obvious?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you need. We got fine in a C without sides, and are now able to travel without loading the storage areas too. As i understand, that's the main difference- beaucoup compartments underneath the A
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Not so much length as it is slides. Class A's are much wider, more roomy due to the slides. C's have, usually, one slide and the longest you'll find is around 33 feet. I feel cramped in a C.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE