Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C vs Class A - Length
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C vs Class A - Length

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a search here for "Class C Length" in the subject and it returned no results. So I want to throw this out as a new post. How does the living area length of a Class C compare to a Class A? In other words: How much longer would a Class C be to have the same living area length as a Class A? I'm guessing it's not only the length of the "dog house", but also the length of the engine compartment.

(My quick and dirty image search says that's about 6 feet.)

* This post was edited 12/28/19 09:50pm by DallasSteve *

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not so much length as it is slides. Class A's are much wider, more roomy due to the slides. C's have, usually, one slide and the longest you'll find is around 33 feet. I feel cramped in a C.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what you need. We got fine in a C without sides, and are now able to travel without loading the storage areas too. As i understand, that's the main difference- beaucoup compartments underneath the A

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In other words: How much longer would a Class C be to have the same living area length as a Class A? I'm guessing it's not only the length of the "dog house", but also the length of the engine compartment."

Width, height are fairly similar in either. Our Navion has about the same distance from the windshield to the "living area" behind it, as our Sunstar 26HE had. The only difference is the Navion doesn't have a doghouse. The Sunstar did.
Also depends on the floorplan. Most C and entry level A class coaches have similar living areas, including a galley, opposite a couch and dinette, usually situated in a slide, or slides.
So the answer would be whichever one is longer, overall, will probably give you the most "living area".
I would have thought this would be obvious?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

How does the living area length of a Class C compare to a Class A? In other words: How much longer would a Class C be to have the same living area length as a Class A?

One important factor that you don’t mention is the use and by whom?

A friend of mine got rid of his 34’ A and got a 24’ C for he and his wife, son & daughter.

In his case the fact that the much shorter but had 3 beds (2 set up full time) instead of just 2 was huge. It also means he has a queen bed in a unit with no slides.

Once you’ve driven both in an urban environment you’ll see the other difference, it’s like driving a cube van instead of a school bus. Try parking a school bus in a standard space in a parking lot.

If you’re a ‘camper’ who wants a mobile hotel room with big screen TV, you’ll want the A, if you’re a camper who wants a hard-sided tent with washroom, kitchen and beds and spend most of your time outside, you’ll be very happy with the C.

BTW, I have 1 of each, for all of the above reasons and more.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve,

I can tell you for an absolute fact that there is no simple equation here. The coach floor plan makes all the difference.

We have a 23'A (73 GMC), neighbor has a 26'C (98 Wini). We have more usable space.
Late Sis and BIL had an 18'A (Clark/Cortez) that worked well for they and two daughters. It was a little tight, but they made it work for weeks at a time.

An Associate has a 32'A (forgot build), and when we travel together, they come to our coach to sit and talk.

So, Shop a lot, go to shows and dealers and think about how you will use it.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“if you’re a camper who wants a hard-sided tent with washroom, kitchen and beds and spend most of your time outside,” Bingo!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You lose a lot of space in a C due to the hood and driving compartment especially if the two from seats aren’t usable while parked. In my 31ft A both chairs rotate and we use them all the time. There is a fold up table between the chairs on the doghouse. With triple slides and one being a FWS we have plenty of room. The front dash is used as a place to temporality put things such as attraction pamphlets. What space is left is used as an observation platform for our two small dogs.

As far as storage bins, short A’s have plenty of storage doors, but many aren’t useful as storage. Many are taken up with holding tanks, generators, electrical components. The same is true for C’s.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comparing a C and an A of equal length, they are about the same height and width. An A typically has more usable living space, since the front two seats usually swivel backwards and are on about the same level as the floor of the coach area. C seats are much lower and set apart from the living area. However, if the overhang in a C is configured as a bed, then the C offers more sleeping space. A lot of folks will say it's easier to drive a C, but I think an A of the same length is easier to drive due to better visibility and a tighter cramp (turning) angle on the front axle.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Comparing a C and an A of equal length, they are about the same height and width. An A typically has more usable living space, since the front two seats usually swivel backwards and are on about the same level as the floor of the coach area. C seats are much lower and set apart from the living area. However, if the overhang in a C is configured as a bed, then the C offers more sleeping space. A lot of folks will say it's easier to drive a C, but I think an A of the same length is easier to drive due to better visibility and a tighter cramp (turning) angle on the front axle.

This may be my favorite answer. I forgot about the overhead bed in the Class C. But, the small Class A I'm looking at also has a power overhang bed, so in some ways it's the best of both worlds. But in that Class A you may not be able to use the swiveling seats much when the overhang is lowered. So, maybe it's not so perfect. I was thinking we might use that overhang area for storage, but if I can't drive with it down that idea goes "out the window".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C vs Class A - Length
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.