cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better/safer to have only one w/d bar? Or none?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
One socket clip on my Reese round bar broke while on the road..it won't hold the bar now..

Getting a repair or replacement can't happen until after our return leg later this week

Our trip home about 325 miles

Left side bar and socket fine

Here's the question.. for our return trip, am I ok/better to run with a single w/d bar? In other words, is one better than none? Or does having a w/d bar on only one side create an unsafe imbalance situation or something, such that it's better/safer to run with no w/d at all?
Thx
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
31 REPLIES 31

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailernovice wrote:
The question wasn't whether having w/d preferred.. the question is, under circumstances where the only option for my 325-mile return leg is a single w/d bar or none, which way should I go?

For those concerned.. with or without w/d, am WAY under capacity.. tt right at 5000 lbs, with hitch weight under 500

Let us know how it tows with out the WDH.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Good stuff^!!
OP confirmed his setup doesn't even "need" a wdh by the numbers.
So now the unpaid (or maybe y'all do get paid) spokesmen for wdhs can rest easy...

Grit, I have a sticker on my trailer that says: "Check your lug nuts every 50 miles."

Can you put my mind at ease too? Getting to be a drag stopping every 50 miles to check my nuts! ๐Ÿ˜‰

You should stop every 12.5 miles and check the nuts on a different wheel each time, if you have tandem axles. What do you think the chances are that all your nuts come loose at the same time? :B

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering what the OP wanted to hear, as the advice is all over the place for him to pick and choose from

Could use two bars with a bungee cord holding the offending clip-less bar

Could go with only one

Could go without either

Iโ€™m okay being called the weight police, but am not policing, just providing advice to questions. Never say โ€˜sure you canโ€™, just info for the OPโ€™s too make up theirs own minds...

Oh well, another to put on the blocked list to not waste my time...or others time...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Good stuff^!!
So now the unpaid (or maybe y'all do get paid) spokesmen for wdhs can rest easy...

Grit, I have a sticker on my trailer that says: "Check your lug nuts every 50 miles."

Can you put my mind at ease too? Getting to be a drag stopping every 50 miles to check my nuts! ๐Ÿ˜‰
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good stuff^!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
If it was me and my Ram pulling your trailer, I would go without in a heartbeat. I have been unable to find this 500 lb limit on my hitch. The owners manual mentions something a little north of 1100 lbs for tongue weight with NO mention of wd hitch. I believe there is ZERO % chance of physical damage. The biggest concern might be towing characteristics and control.

If you can go by Rams specs for 2019 (OEM Standard) a Tradesman or Bighorn is a class 3 receiver and every trim level above is a class 4. Not too sure what any of that means as I've only been into this towing thing for a couple of weeks, never took physics, and am not a card carrying member of the weight police.

Happy New Year.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me and my Ram pulling your trailer, I would go without in a heartbeat. I have been unable to find this 500 lb limit on my hitch. The owners manual mentions something a little north of 1100 lbs for tongue weight with NO mention of wd hitch. I believe there is ZERO % chance of physical damage. The biggest concern might be towing characteristics and control.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
As indicated in thread-starting post, two bars is not an option until home..Socket clip snapped.. its one bar only, or nothing.. trying to figure out which better
Glenn and Toni

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
At Less than 10% tongue, I'd be sure to have both bars foe balanced sway control

You are the first <10% tongue I've heard of

Advise was out of context without more info, that you have now presented
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
The question wasn't whether having w/d preferred.. the question is, under circumstances where the only option for my 325-mile return leg is a single w/d bar or none, which way should I go?

For those concerned.. with or without w/d, am WAY under capacity.. tt right at 5000 lbs, with hitch weight under 500
Glenn and Toni

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
bid_time wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
All this drama over towing a 6K trailer 325 miles without a WDH, with a 1500 truck? Amazing.
The weight carrying rating on my F150 with the HDPP and the Max tow package (2500 lbs payload rated) is 500 lbs. Sticker with Weight carrying (500 lbs tongue wt., 5,000 lbs trailer wt) and Weight distributing (1320 lbs tongue, 13,200 lbs trailer wt) load rating is clearly posted on the vehicle hitch. So from your post you think it's ok for me to exceed that rating by a good bit. AMAZING! (I wonder what his insurance company would think of your opinion.)
I think I'll pass on accepting your opinion and go with the manufacturer's opinion instead. As for the OP, he should check out the manufacturer's rating on the hitch on his truck.

Yep, Yep. amazing how many are clueless about safe towing. A 6000lb TT will have a 720lb tongue weight, and will not only overload the hitch, but unload the front axle and can cause loss of control.

Yep, Yep. amazing how you know what the receiver is rated for on the OP's Ram 1500. Do you have ESP? How do you know he does not have a class 5 Curt C15572 rated at 1500 lb weight carrying? If 720 lbs tongue weight overloads the front axles enough to make it so dangerous, what will you do if you need to haul 1200 lbs of topsoil or gravel?

I know because he has a 1500 truck. And it has a stock hitch on it. Prove me wrong.

Now lets talk about 720lb hanging off the BACK of the truck. NOT IN the truck, but hanging off the back. Yes it will unload the front axle. Ever hear of leverage. Should his truck be able to carry 1200lb of top soil. It will be IN the truck, with most of it either over the axle or in front of the axle. And because of the balance. will not unload the front axle like hanging 720lb off the rear of the truck.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
bid_time wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
All this drama over towing a 6K trailer 325 miles without a WDH, with a 1500 truck? Amazing.
The weight carrying rating on my F150 with the HDPP and the Max tow package (2500 lbs payload rated) is 500 lbs. Sticker with Weight carrying (500 lbs tongue wt., 5,000 lbs trailer wt) and Weight distributing (1320 lbs tongue, 13,200 lbs trailer wt) load rating is clearly posted on the vehicle hitch. So from your post you think it's ok for me to exceed that rating by a good bit. AMAZING! (I wonder what his insurance company would think of your opinion.)
I think I'll pass on accepting your opinion and go with the manufacturer's opinion instead. As for the OP, he should check out the manufacturer's rating on the hitch on his truck.

Yep, Yep. amazing how many are clueless about safe towing. A 6000lb TT will have a 720lb tongue weight, and will not only overload the hitch, but unload the front axle and can cause loss of control.

Yep, Yep. amazing how you know what the receiver is rated for on the OP's Ram 1500. Do you have ESP? How do you know he does not have a class 5 Curt C15572 rated at 1500 lb weight carrying? If 720 lbs tongue weight overloads the front axles enough to make it so dangerous, what will you do if you need to haul 1200 lbs of topsoil or gravel?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
GDS-3950BH wrote: