cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

chassis battery

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to figure out what on a coach is pulling juice from the chassis battery and/or house battery? I know my front retracting night shades draw from chassis, but not sure what else. THANKS
7 REPLIES 7

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Google parasitic battery drain - then disconnect the house battery and follow the Google instructions. In my rig the electric steps and alarms were connected to the chassis battery - after being stranded in the boonies with dead chassis battery I moved those over to the house battery.
Kevin

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My older rig has two switches by the door. One turns the chassis battery on or off and the other turns the coach batteries on or off. I donโ€™t know why newer units do not have the same simple switches. I have no parasitic draw from either when turned off.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Put your clamp-on DC ammeter on the battery cable and see what moves.

Nothing will "move" but if there is a draw, it should register. This is a case were "bigger is NOT better" ! You don't need a 600 amp-clamp meter. 100A is plenty. Around $50 on Amazon.

The next step is narrowing it down. Take you DMM and set it to the lowest voltage available. Open the fuse box under the hood, and place the test leads on each small metal contact on top of each fuse. If there is no draw, it should read zero.

If you find a suspect, remove the fuse and double check the total draw at the battery. Now you need a wiring diagram !

Remember, all the fancy electronics take up to 5 or 10 minutes to go to sleep, so wait for them !

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put your clamp-on DC ammeter on the battery cable and see what moves.
(any excuse to have a new tool ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If this on your Winnebago, go to their website and doewnload the wiring diagrams. You will need rig's information. VIN and serial number.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jy
Explorer
Explorer
Unhook the battery and see what quits working.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Unhook the house batteries and see what still works. Worth a try.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad