Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Double Towing Length Laws
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Double Towing Length Laws

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold my heavy stacker trailer and Jeep and bought a Tacoma, now I want to double tow my Tacoma and small boat behind motorhome, however my length is 72-73 feet but Nevada is 70 max length and Arizona max length is 65 foot.

Has anyone doubled towed over your legal length and had issues with the highway patrol, I know I have seen many well over 70 feet even in Arizona.

Also my boat extends 2 feet beyond the end of boat trailer, where does the length end at trailer or boat over hang.

[emoticon]

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be surprised if someone actually admits to illegally towing over the length. If they were to have a bad accident it would be easy for law enforcement or a civil attorney to find this thread where they admitted they knew they were over the limit but towed anyway. You're actually asking who breaks the law? Just because someone else does it will you feel better towing over the limit? Sorry, just not smart to do. Good luck though.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I am not legal and was wondering if somone else has doulbed towed over the length with the police noticing, also the laws state the max length is from front bumper to back of the last trailer, have read this for many states, I am at 70 feet from front bumper to the back of boat traier and have about 3 feet over hang on boat trailer, I can shorten my trailer tounge by a foot and move boat another foot forward on trailer and might be at 70 foot.

I am thinking of doing this to my boat trailer but I still might end up 6 inches over.

I am also just under max weight so I am fine there.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving soon for Nevada to violate YOUR laws. Will I get caught?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being here in Vegas I see snow birders and such all the time what appears to be well over 65 and even somtimes 70 feet and many are heading into arizona where its 65 foot max.

So my guess the highway patrol is not checking lengths unless they are speeding or in a accident.

If I rework my boat trailer I might be close to 70 foot but I can't get under that, I will also be going to Parker Arizona where its 65 foot and that's another issue right there..

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not condoning over length, but doubt anyone will notice 5' or less, such as a trooper stopping you to measure. I do double tow, and AFAIK, the length is the total, not just to end of boat trailer.

An accident would be your biggest concern, if hedging on the length, and someone looking to blame you. Now days it is important to carry high dollar liability insurance, due to the lawsuit crazies.

Jerry

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will your insurance cover you if you are illegally towing? They could use it to get out of paying for any claim against you. Are you willing to be your house, retirement and future financial happiness?

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not aware of any jurisdiction that will allow such a setup, many require the lead trailer to be a fifth wheel. If you choose to flout the law it's only a matter of time until you are called to account, ignorance won't fly as an excuse.

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A motorhome towing a pickup with a boat behind the pickup? Overlength will be only one of your problems. That's an illegal combination in most if not all states.
As far as state police/highway patrol bothering you? Just because one guy does it and doesn't get stopped is absolutely no indication that you will. It's not a game of percentages nor is it a defense that 'the other guy did it and didn't get stopped." Your problems if stopped will be a whole lot more than just paying a ticket. It's going to make for a very long day and very expensive. People just don't have a concept of reality when it comes to getting stopped.
The strangest combination I ever stopped was a motor home pulling a box trailer that was pulling a Dodge Durango with a boat attached. 4 vehicles in combination. He had started out in Missouri and I got him stopped almost 100 miles into Illinois. His complaint was he had driven all that distance and no one had stopped him. Whine and moan. Well, his tough luck. Just because he managed to slide for 100 miles he was stopped then. His pickup and boat was towed to a lot since he didn't have another driver for them. He pays the tow bill and the storage bill. I nearly got writer's cramp writing tickets. And 2 or more tickets is a mandatory court appearance. That's a state supreme court rule. And court is not right then either. 30-45 days later. So another trip back over 100 miles to court.

Camped in every state

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly it doesn't really matter if someone else has done it, that's no guarantee that you can do it. If you're over length, then it's a roll of the dice. Personally I don't think it's high on the list of things to worry about, but if you come across a trooper that's having a slow day and nothing better to do, you could be toast.

Like Harry says: "Do you feel lucky?".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Double Towing Length Laws
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.