Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Double Towing Length Laws
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Double Towing Length Laws

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And don't forget if you get stopped the deciding person will be the LEO who pulls you over. If he isn't familiar with the towing regulations then all bets are off.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

And don't forget if you get stopped the deciding person will be the LEO who pulls you over. If he isn't familiar with the towing regulations then all bets are off.

One of those situations where you can be right, and still find yourself with a ticket. And in this scenario, the cop can tell you to drop one of the trailers before proceeding any further.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

One of those situations where you can be right, and still find yourself with a ticket. And in this scenario, the cop can tell you to drop one of the trailers before proceeding any further.

These type statements are always good for a laugh.
Most likely the LEO who pulls you over is a lot more familiar with the laws than you or the person towing. Not likely you or the other person have had any legal training, read any of the statutes, or even know where to look for the applicable statute.
The lack of most peoples' legal knowledge is clearly evident by the comments on this forum. Most people don't have a clue.
Just FYI when you are cited for a violation the applicable statute will be indicated on the citation. That way even the most uninformed will know where to look up the statute to see what they did wrong. That's provided the person is smart enough to know where to look for the statute and if they can, then bright enough to understand the statute once they read it. And that is not common.

Camped in every state

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don't give LEO's carte blanche on the intelligence scale. There are tons of vague, and relatively unknown rules and regulations. A regular LEO is simply not going to have the ability to remember all those obscure regulations that rarely come up.

Been there and seen that the LEO's make simple mistakes and don't know everything. Just the name of the game, they are not super heroes. When you can get varying answers from the DMV and they have the rule books right there in front of them, there's no reason to believe that a LEO will be any better.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

If the LEO is not familiar with the towing laws than how could he give me a ticket, if he or she tried to ticket me I will tell to call their supervisor to look up the law..

I checked on the 7 states and I am in the clear, 70 to 85 foot and no 5th wheel required in the middle.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is pics of my legal setup

[image]

[image][/img]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

">][image]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

">][image]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that looks pretty long, but IMO, a lot safer tow than a 1/2 ton truck, towing a TT and a boat, that I see quite often.

Jerry

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Well that looks pretty long, but IMO, a lot safer tow than a 1/2 ton truck, towing a TT and a boat, that I see quite often.

Jerry

Exactly 70 foot from front bumper to back of boat motor, not a inch to spare.

But I am still legal in 7 states that connect with Nevada..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Double Towing Length Laws
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.