cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar wiring through vent, how to seal hole in vent line

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I had to bring the wire for my rooftop solar panels down through the kitchen sink vent pipe. I drilled a 3/4 in hole to fish wire through; how have others sealed this hole??

Thanks,
Doug
11 REPLIES 11

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me, the OP was asking a question on how to patch up a hole made AFTER the wire was installed, NOT what was the best method of installation. Maybe some of the more enlightened ones on this forum could spend more time working on their comprehension before banging out a bunch of condescending dribble...
The older we get, the faster we go

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Done properly, there is no reason to fear punching a new hole in the roof. Often times it gets you to your ultimate location using less conductor resulting in less voltage drop. There is already at least 6-7 penetrations in the roof from the manufacturer. Everything is available to do as good or likely better job of penetrating and sealing up the roof then the manufacturer did. It is a good fear to overcome, then you will have more experience and confidence to address future plans or issues regarding maintenance to your roof..........my opinion of course, not looking for a fight.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
"lacking skill or training" is hardly an insult unless the target is a professional. To my ears your own attack is unwarranted and your advise better taken than given. I understand your sensitivity and wish to keep things civil but you may have gone too far.

Running wires down the vent is well known and common with DIY and cable installers, but hardly a top quality method.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
For what itโ€™s worth, the opโ€™s wire entry method is a brilliant but jackleg way to solve a problem best solved by an off-the-shelf wire entry gland such as this One.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
GOOP. Plumber's GOOP (most any flavor will work) The original formula was called Shoe Goo but people found it useful for so many things that they changed the name to _________ GOOP,. each flavor (Automotive, plumbers, houshold, marine, RV and other) has a SLIGHTLY different formula in respect to chemical and UV and other resistance but they all work basically the same. Very sticky stuff
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, gtnsmir and bfl. Hopefully you used a big wire size...8?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the TC we had, I used a roof top vent cap which was removable, passed the wires down the vent tube, and was able to replace the vent cap where it goes on.

Down below I had drilled a hole in the vent pipe, got the wires out to route to the controller, and sealed the hole where the wires came out of the vent pipe with whatever goop I had handy. Dicor, or eavestrough sealer. It is not a pressure seal, so anything that sticks.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
doughere wrote:
I had to bring the wire for my rooftop solar panels down through the kitchen sink vent pipe. I drilled a 3/4 in hole to fish wire through; how have others sealed this hole??

Thanks,
Doug

Go get a plastic coupler same size as vent pipe. Cut in half lengthwise, notch the cup to slide over wire glue on and seal gaps with 3M 5200. Tie wire works good to hold in place while adhesive sets.
The older we get, the faster we go

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Should have just gone up and over the pipe, then let the vents cover keep any weather from getting in.
I would fix the hole and do exactly that if it were mine.

Good luck.