Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: DRW back to SRW
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DRW back to SRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I would switch back in a heartbeat if I went with a lighter TC or needed the truck for a daily driver. I don’t use my DRW as a daily driver. There are tradeoffs going either way.

The DRW does have disadvantages, but I can get by with one for the times I don’t have the TC on.

What he said.
Bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it interesting that those that complain about how hard and hard to park a DRW have never driven one!
My DD drives a VW Jetta for work, then drives 2004 Ram SLT CC long bed DRW, for dealing with her horses. She has no issues!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

billtex wrote:

The new generation SRW trucks have payloads of 4000

The new GM HD SRW trucks have a higher GVWR than my 2009 dually. I looked at a 2020 SRW 3500HD yesterday, GVWR was 12,200

But....if you believe the real world GVW is better on a new srw than a 10 year old dually, you don't understand trucks.
I don't mean you personally, but rather anyone who just believes the numbers without understanding vehicles.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

I find it interesting that those that complain about how hard and hard to park a DRW have never driven one!
My DD drives a VW Jetta for work, then drives 2004 Ram SLT CC long bed DRW, for dealing with her horses. She has no issues!

Since it isn't obvious, my F450 is a typical Crew Cab DRW. Yeah, I've only put 55K on it, but I think that counts as driving one.

Not everyone has a DD as well as a DW, so I guess your rules are different. I wouldn't mind having both, but I don't think the DW would agree. That's a joke if you didn't catch it. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is trade off to everything. We drive a vehicle only couple times a week, so 1 is technically more than enough.
But I don't see much convenience of driving Superduty for sack of potatoes, or to the church.
No matter SRW, or DRW, I still keep sedan for city runs.
Sure this is not the economical way, but owning Superduty never will be economical.
Now sacrificing safety by buying oversized camper for undersized truck is whole new story. Tell me about it?

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two trips across country with 39' 5er and one to and from Alaska with a 12'4" high TC, only a handful of times did I say, wow.....a drw would have been wonderful to combat the side winds hitting broadside while crossing open prairie land. I understand the wider footprint of the drw and it's benefits.

I don't mind parking a drw with an 8' body and four doors for I always park far away from others. One I like the safety of having no bozos parking near me and two the extra walk is good for the old body.

If I had unlimited funds, a drw would probably be my next big purchase. One fact remains for me, I like the 'looks' of a srw compared to a drw. That being said, each model has pros and cons.

Kind of boils down to preference and funds availability.

Lakeside

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have a 2020 Ram 3500 long bed diesel on order, should be here in the next week. I did a lot of soul searching before I ordered it, debating DRW vs SRW. In the end, I ordered a SRW. The DRW option was $1200 more, insignificant in the overall price of the truck. The deciding factor for me is the way I use my truck. I spend a significant amount of driving time hauling a snowmobile trailer to Quebec and Ontario every year, and don't want to do the snow driving with a dually. As soon as the truck arrives, we are going to pick up a new truck camper as well. It will be at or a bit above the payload limit of the new truck when it's loaded with "stuff", but that's the best trade off for me for the way I will use the truck. Everyone's situation and risk tolerance is different. You need to do what's right for you.

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Diesel, 2018 Northstar 12 STC

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been back and forth depending if I really need the stability a DRW gives..I have one now because I need the extra stability that the dual wheels give in uneven terrain with a TC onboard..

Side note..Several comments on DRW in snow..I do not understand these because mine does extremely well on snow and ice,maybe because my tires are siped and narrow compared to the newer DRW tires...over 12% narrower..Maybe that's the reason huh...

Trucker wanna be...LOL What does driving a 1-ton DRW have to do with trucking..Nothing at all having been a trucker..

Oh and the parking and daily driver..I live in a Ranching and Logging town and on any given trip downtown,I see 4-5 DRW's parked somewhere..I just park out away from the door smashers even if in the soccer mom van..Some people just don't care if they smash the side of your car with there door..So,I park away..

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Anybody changed from Dually to SRW?

Why?

Are you happy with your decision?

What do you haul that made you want a dually?

The new generation SRW trucks have payloads of 4000#+...this may be a game changer.

Thx, Bill
Its an interesting question , and if you noticed , no one has answered it directly . The pros and cons of srw and drw have been dicussed 1000's of times . It is pretty much common knowledge at this point . Just an observation on my part , I don't recall anyone commenting on going from drw to srw . There have been many that have gone from srw to drw , all were positive . Ultimately you will have to decide what is best for your weights and usage . Good luck

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Its an interesting question , and if you noticed , no one has answered it directly

Um I thought I did..I have been back and forth with both,changing from SRW to DRW and visa versa..The reason for a DRW for me is stability,the reason for a SRW is availability..Neither one trumps the other IMHO other than heavy loads..

The majority of my TC's have been on SRW and they are less stable than a DRW even with smallish campers but the SRW certainly can haul campers very well..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DRW back to SRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.