Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: DRW back to SRW
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DRW back to SRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of this can be answered by it "depends"!
Ive got a f 150, f 250, and a DRW f350, They are all older vehicles, all were at the time great deals and were purchased used. The 150 is my daily driver, it just works well for my use. The f250 is going to go, since I will be using the f350 for all my heavy towing, RV and Lance. For me the F350 just does a better job and is a better truck, I get it , its wider and in some instances a bit clumsy but when pulling my trailer or loaded with the camper it really SHINES. So for me, it depends on having a daily driver and being able to use the f350 for the heavy stuff.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did mention of going from DRW to SRW in my chain of trucks.
At the time I was using truck for 18k lb trailer pulling and thanks to going from 4.5 differential ratio in F450 to 3.5 (?) in F250 with SRW I saved over 25% on mpg difference, even both truck had the same 7.3l engine and F250 was 4WD to top it.
But when I went long way to pick up my 12' TC, I stopped on the first scales I found on my way back.
Even I bought new tires with the biggest weight ratio on the market and put spare wheel on front bumper, winterized camper overload rear tires by like 300 lb each.
So next day after getting home, I start searching for dually.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

billtex wrote:

Anybody changed from Dually to SRW?

Why?

Are you happy with your decision?

What do you haul that made you want a dually?

The new generation SRW trucks have payloads of 4000#+...this may be a game changer.

Thx, Bill
Its an interesting question , and if you noticed , no one has answered it directly . The pros and cons of srw and drw have been dicussed 1000's of times . It is pretty much common knowledge at this point . Just an observation on my part , I don't recall anyone commenting on going from drw to srw . There have been many that have gone from srw to drw , all were positive . Ultimately you will have to decide what is best for your weights and usage . Good luck

Yeah...my DRW truck is always the way to go for all.

The OP mentions 4000 lb payloads on a SRW. That 4000 lb payload is a gvwr based payload and when all placed in the bed as a TC or heavy GN/5th wheel trailer hitch weight will overload the trucks 7xxx RAWR. About the most a one ton SRW can carry back there is around 3500-3800 lbs depending on actual scaled axle weights and RAWR numbers.

Just like Ford advertising the F150 with 3200 lb payload and a small 4800 RAWR. The most payload in the bed before overloads its RAWR is gonna' be around 2400-2500 lbs depending on actual weights as I mentioned above.

I've owned and drove several one ton DRW trucks in my former hauling business. I own a older '98 3500 DRW now. Non would or will go in places where I went off road or on the road or in town or out of town..... so I kept a SRW truck as a get around vehicle.
The DRW has its advantages.
The SRW has its advantages.

It boils down on how much TC or hitch weight one needs to carry.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've worked my way up through four trucks to a DRW because each time I want more capacity than my previous truck offered. I have not worked down yet back to a SRW, but planned on keeping my previous SRW as a daily driver until it sold and use the DRW only for specific tasks. It turned out the day I brought the DRW home, the next day my SRW sold.

My SRW was not only narrower but also shorter, so it made getting around town and parking garages possible. I avoid these with my DRW but have motorcycles and dune buggies to use in fair weather. I do miss not being able to go to an automated car wash with my DRW, but most of my other vehicles are also not suited for car washes...

At this point, I do not see my hauling reduced to the point I can go back to a SRW (unless I start to trailer everything I want to own). Once this does happen, I will decide whether to keep the DRW for special tasks or whether it will be time to find it a new home - I doubt the DRW will every be my daily driver.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a DRW to a SWR. A few years ago I bought a Dodge dually diesel to pull a 35' fifth wheel and later on to haul my Lance 950 TC. My wife had no problem drivings the dually even though it was a six speed manual.

But last year I got into TC'ing again after a lull, and had to purchase both a new truck and camper. I chose the camper I liked and then bought the truck to match it weight wise. I ended up with the combo in my signature. No need for a dually. Saved money, good match weight wise, (under GVWR).

I don't see any performance differences between the two different trucks. The six speed auto with the engine brake is a plus though.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to haul my slide-in campers on SRW rigs. Then I had a blowout on a rear tire with the camper on the back. All that weight way up high canted way over; I thought I was going to roll it before I got stopped.

SRW works just fine for most things. But when you've got a load sitting in the bed that's nearly 13' high the extra stability of the dually, whether it be in high winds or dealing with a blowout, is worth it.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my view all this pontificating and hand wringing is mostly about folks justifying their personal choice as the correct one...I had both, and a dually for 13 years, driven in just about every scenario imaginable without a hiccup...Best thing to do is to buy what’s compatible for a given camper and skip all the gossipy ruminating...An overloaded truck makes zero sense period...

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

billtex wrote:

The new generation SRW trucks have payloads of 4000

The new GM HD SRW trucks have a higher GVWR than my 2009 dually. I looked at a 2020 SRW 3500HD yesterday, GVWR was 12,200

RIDDLE ME THIS - - -

While they are increasing the GVWR on these 2020's, Is the RAWR higher? What about the tire capacity ? Those are the 2 numbers that I follow...

MY "15" has a 7100 Rear axle rating, has that been increased by 1k? MY stock tires were rated at 3450 each ( 6900 )... I replaced those with Nitto's which are rated at 3750 each ( 7500 )

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryoung wrote:

I don't see any performance differences between the two different trucks. The six speed auto with the engine brake is a plus though.

ryoung

I am the OP.
Interesting comment, can you elaborate?

Thx, Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

billtex wrote:

The new generation SRW trucks have payloads of 4000

The new GM HD SRW trucks have a higher GVWR than my 2009 dually. I looked at a 2020 SRW 3500HD yesterday, GVWR was 12,200

RIDDLE ME THIS - - -

While they are increasing the GVWR on these 2020's, Is the RAWR higher? What about the tire capacity ? Those are the 2 numbers that I follow...

MY "15" has a 7100 Rear axle rating, has that been increased by 1k? MY stock tires were rated at 3450 each ( 6900 )... I replaced those with Nitto's which are rated at 3750 each ( 7500 )

Correct. Still need to be mindful of RAWR and tires. Need to select either the highest rated tires offered (might have to check that box as an option when ordering) or upgrade the tires myself.

There is no question a dually would be more stable and offer greater capacity. But you can’t ignore that thee trucks improve with every generation. The latest gen SRW offer as much “capacity” as previous DRW. For the person who hauls 6-8 times/yr a dually may not be worth the additional operating costs. (Purchase price is negligible IMO). I was convinced I would go dually with the new truck, now that I am researching I am not so sure...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DRW back to SRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.