cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double towing

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
This topic has come up at our park a couple of times. I am of the opinion that you have to abide by the laws of the state/province you are in as regarding double towing and legal length. I believe that you cannot tow doubles in states that do not allow it, whether or not it is legal where you are licensed from. I know that this is the case in Canada. I would be pulled over by the first DOT guy that caught me double towing in BC even though I am legal in Alberta. I believe the same applies to me in the states. I am legal to double tow thru Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Arizona but not in Washington, Oregon or California.

I need responses from those with personal experiences and/or officers with the knowledge to answer this question, not opinions please.

As far as I know, drivers licenses are the only thing that works in the sense that if you are legal at home, you are allowed to drive in other states based on your home license. Some provinces and maybe some states require a special RV endorsement on your drivers license but, if you are visiting from a province or state that does not have the same requirements, you are ok legally to drive there as a visitor. This does not apply to vehicle/trailer configurations, AFAIK.
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options
40 REPLIES 40

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
hotpepperkid wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Georgia allows doubles but first trailer must be a 5th wheel.

Same with AZ. I dont know what the total length requirment is because I dont but a lot of people with side-by-sides do it

As I said above, my reading of the AZ statutes is 65' front bumper to center of rearmost axle, but a 10' "overhang" is allowed from the rear axle to the rear of 2nd trailer. Allows for towing boats that tend to have a fairly long distance behind the axle.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

Same with AZ. I dont know what the total length requirment is because I dont but a lot of people with side-by-sides do it
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wisconsin does allow double towing but there are restrictions.
(i) A 3-vehicle combination consisting of a towing vehicle and, in order by weight, with the lighter of the towed vehicles as the 3rd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination unless not structurally possible, a recreational vehicle or camping trailer as the 2nd vehicle, and a recreational vehicle, camping trailer, or trailer carrying any vehicle for recreational use or carrying no load as the 3rd vehicle may, without a permit, be operated on a highway if the overall length of the combination of vehicles does not exceed 65 feet and, if the total weight, including any load, of all towed vehicles exceeds 3,000 pounds, one of the towed vehicles is equipped with brakes. No 3-vehicle combination may operate under this paragraph if highway or weather conditions include heavy snow, freezing rain, icy roads, high winds, limited visibility, or upon a highway that is closed or partially closed by the department due to highway conditions.
(j) A 3-vehicle combination not exceeding 70 feet in overall length may, without a permit, be operated on a highway if the towing vehicle serving as the power unit is equipped with a 5th wheel and kingpin connection by which the 2nd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination is drawn, the 2nd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination is a recreational vehicle or camping trailer, including any combination camping-horse trailer, the 3rd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination is a recreational vehicle or camping trailer or a trailer carrying any vehicle for recreational use, carrying equestrian equipment and equestrian supplies for recreational purposes, or carrying no load, and, if the total weight, including any load, of all towed vehicles exceeds 3,000 pounds, one of the towed vehicles is equipped with brakes. No 3-vehicle combination may operate under this paragraph if highway or weather conditions include heavy snow, freezing rain, icy roads, high winds, limited visibility, or upon a highway that is closed or partially closed by the department due to highway conditions.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
twodownzero wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:

The US Supreme Court ruled decades ago that all states are mandated to recognize all other states' driver's licenses.

When and where was that? I've read a great deal of cases but never read any such case.

Sorry I'm no longer working and I left all my teaching materials with my employer. We cited the case in our lesson plan. It involved more than just DLs and registration between states.
Camped in every state

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:

The US Supreme Court ruled decades ago that all states are mandated to recognize all other states' driver's licenses.

When and where was that? I've read a great deal of cases but never read any such case.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stick to I-5 thru WA and OR. I am prepared for what may happen.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Washington Resident here. I travel I-90 from/to Bellevue to/from North Bend 4/5 days a week since 2000. I have seen many RV double tow rigs pulled over by Washington State Patrol(WSP)and forced to detach the second trailer. I have also seen RV double tow rigs impounded on this stretch of highway.

Lately, one of the WSP trooper's assigned from Issaquah to North Bend almost every morning has a commercial vehicle pulled over for some reason. I would be hesitant to try slipping through this road stretch with a double tow rig from what I have seen.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
This is what Minnesota has...
Statute 169.81 HEIGHT AND LENGTH LIMITATIONS

And here is MORE INFO if you want.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been a while since I measured. Think I am 65’ front bumper to center of MC trailer axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I know that in AZ you can tow doubles if:

1) first trailer =must= be a FW; can =not= be a GN.
2) distance from front bumper to rear axle can not exceed 65', however a 10' "overhang" is allowed (rear axle to rear bumper), for an OAL of 75'.

After reading and re-reading AZ Revised Statutes, I can't find anything about licenses, truck capacity or weights.

All this being said, I've seen plenty of GNs and other utility trailers doubled to another utility trailer or implement, like a welder or mixer.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
frac999 wrote:
Here’s some good news: in many states it’s legal to tow 2 trailers at the same time.

Double towing is allowed in the following states:

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

Here's some bad news......

Your list is NOT accurate.....unless it indicates the added requirements for a double tow...:(

Ex: California requires a Class A CDL (maybe now "only" a non-Commercial Class A) -and- a one ton pickup.

BTW - for those out-of-state folks - usually the CHP is too busy with more important things - than checking to see if your DL is appropriate for the out-of-state plates displayed on your pickup....:W

However / note: There is NO reciprocity between states for overall length.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Most states do allow some types of RV double tows setups (non commercial).
However...
My state requires a 3/4 ton truck or larger
Some states require semi trailer/trailer (pin then ball trailers) but may or may not allow a GN trailer to be the first trailer
Others require the first trailer to be heavier than the second trailer
ETC/ETC....devils always in the details for how each state codes read/enforced on non commercial combinations.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

frac999
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s some good news: in many states it’s legal to tow 2 trailers at the same time.

Double towing is allowed in the following states:

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky