Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: double towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> double towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that in AZ you can tow doubles if:

1) first trailer =must= be a FW; can =not= be a GN.
2) distance from front bumper to rear axle can not exceed 65', however a 10' "overhang" is allowed (rear axle to rear bumper), for an OAL of 75'.

After reading and re-reading AZ Revised Statutes, I can't find anything about licenses, truck capacity or weights.

All this being said, I've seen plenty of GNs and other utility trailers doubled to another utility trailer or implement, like a welder or mixer.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been a while since I measured. Think I am 65’ front bumper to center of MC trailer axle.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MN Ben

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what Minnesota has...
Statute 169.81 HEIGHT AND LENGTH LIMITATIONS

And here is MORE INFO if you want.

2006 F350 Dually PSD
2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 <------------ 4sale
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Washington Resident here. I travel I-90 from/to Bellevue to/from North Bend 4/5 days a week since 2000. I have seen many RV double tow rigs pulled over by Washington State Patrol(WSP)and forced to detach the second trailer. I have also seen RV double tow rigs impounded on this stretch of highway.

Lately, one of the WSP trooper's assigned from Issaquah to North Bend almost every morning has a commercial vehicle pulled over for some reason. I would be hesitant to try slipping through this road stretch with a double tow rig from what I have seen.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stick to I-5 thru WA and OR. I am prepared for what may happen.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

The US Supreme Court ruled decades ago that all states are mandated to recognize all other states' driver's licenses.

When and where was that? I've read a great deal of cases but never read any such case.

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

Wadcutter wrote:

The US Supreme Court ruled decades ago that all states are mandated to recognize all other states' driver's licenses.

When and where was that? I've read a great deal of cases but never read any such case.

Sorry I'm no longer working and I left all my teaching materials with my employer. We cited the case in our lesson plan. It involved more than just DLs and registration between states.

Camped in every state

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wisconsin does allow double towing but there are restrictions.
(i) A 3-vehicle combination consisting of a towing vehicle and, in order by weight, with the lighter of the towed vehicles as the 3rd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination unless not structurally possible, a recreational vehicle or camping trailer as the 2nd vehicle, and a recreational vehicle, camping trailer, or trailer carrying any vehicle for recreational use or carrying no load as the 3rd vehicle may, without a permit, be operated on a highway if the overall length of the combination of vehicles does not exceed 65 feet and, if the total weight, including any load, of all towed vehicles exceeds 3,000 pounds, one of the towed vehicles is equipped with brakes. No 3-vehicle combination may operate under this paragraph if highway or weather conditions include heavy snow, freezing rain, icy roads, high winds, limited visibility, or upon a highway that is closed or partially closed by the department due to highway conditions.
(j) A 3-vehicle combination not exceeding 70 feet in overall length may, without a permit, be operated on a highway if the towing vehicle serving as the power unit is equipped with a 5th wheel and kingpin connection by which the 2nd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination is drawn, the 2nd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination is a recreational vehicle or camping trailer, including any combination camping-horse trailer, the 3rd vehicle in the 3-vehicle combination is a recreational vehicle or camping trailer or a trailer carrying any vehicle for recreational use, carrying equestrian equipment and equestrian supplies for recreational purposes, or carrying no load, and, if the total weight, including any load, of all towed vehicles exceeds 3,000 pounds, one of the towed vehicles is equipped with brakes. No 3-vehicle combination may operate under this paragraph if highway or weather conditions include heavy snow, freezing rain, icy roads, high winds, limited visibility, or upon a highway that is closed or partially closed by the department due to highway conditions.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Georgia allows doubles but first trailer must be a 5th wheel.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

Georgia allows doubles but first trailer must be a 5th wheel.

Same with AZ. I dont know what the total length requirment is because I dont but a lot of people with side-by-sides do it

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> double towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.