Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ladder Rack Accessories..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ladder Rack Accessories..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am somewhat surprised know one offers accessories for an TC ladder rack as in, attachments to carry generators/gasoline etc..Something that connects to the ladder rack with an adjustable support to the bumper for heavier things..

I know reddog1 fabbed his up but some of us lack the tools to do so.

Is there anything out there for these things that could go on a ladder rack attachment?

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the ladder is rated for a static weight but always wondered what the rating is for dynamic (while in motion). Your thought of supporting items off the bumper would help with those heavier items, but this distance and depth varies by build and I am not sure you find prefabricated attachments.

If you can find a tray to fit the items you want to carry, you should be able to fit diagonal metal supports above or bellow it with minimal fabrication tools (drill and saw). You can use insulated clamps to the ladder uprights rather than drilling them and possibly making them weaker.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two limiting factors. How the ladder is attached to the camper and the ladder rung capacity. Friends used one of the bicycle carriers made to attach to the ladder and while the ladder didn't pull away from the camper it bent both rungs it was attached to.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember asking Reddog about his rear rack..If I remember right,he has his supported with the rear jack mounts..Thinking a combination of rear jack mounts and bumper support coupled with the ladder rack itself or any of the above for moderate weight..

I am surprised someone like Torklift hasn't come up with something like that..As many people that want to carry extra items for there TC like especially,a small Honda,someone hasn't came up with something other than home pre-fab..

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one thing to remember when you stick something on the back bumper and the ladder is that you upset the handling of the
TT you are towing. it will make the tongue weight lighter. also the back bumper is so thin and light weight it can hardly handle a sewer hose let alone a generator

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

one thing to remember when you stick something on the back bumper and the ladder is that you upset the handling of the
TT you are towing. it will make the tongue weight lighter. also the back bumper is so thin and light weight it can hardly handle a sewer hose let alone a generator

These are TCs not TTs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think these guys are looking at putting a Honda 2000 and gas can on the back of their truck campers. This should not throw COG off too much since an OEM Onan install in the rear wing typically weighs more.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m never comfortable behind RV with a bunch of stuff attached to the ladder and/or bumper. I drop back or pass.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And since I’m not comfortable, I don’t pack a bunch of stuff aft for others to watch closely.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An aluminum hitch mounted cargo carrier and a Plano Sportsmans storage box and I have more storage. Ratchet straps to hold it down and cheap WalMart Brinks combo locks. IPI long run tank and a 2 gallon gas tank fits. Houston to central Pennsylvania, to Eldora Speedway Ohio and back to Houston, no issues. Clears my scissor steps or can use a Rubbermaid step stool.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ladder Rack Accessories..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.