cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protect 50A power cord?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My power cord is essentially out all the time lying on the ground.

Is it advisable to do anything to protect the rubber sheath?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the chance the 50a cables from 15 years ago are made from a higher quality material than todays offerings?

I wiped my cable down with protectAll a couple years ago. I got to think it helps in some small way. Seems like all materials get damaged by UV rays. Some just resist it better.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Cut the ends off a plastic pop bottle, then cut length wise to protect the cord body connection.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock wrote:
Not meaning to hijack the thread; any suggestions of a simple way to protect an extension cord joint. One place we camp we like to set up backward to allow the best view from the windshield but it requires an extension to reach the power source.

I try to put the joint up on something, plastic leveling block. And try to put it where nobody walks.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Not meaning to hijack the thread; any suggestions of a simple way to protect an extension cord joint. One place we camp we like to set up backward to allow the best view from the windshield but it requires an extension to reach the power source.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
303 protectant
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
If you want......just use some pipe insuation for it.........it is already split....slip it over the power cord and use a few zip ties to hold it in place.....
cpaulsen

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to have lots of people walking over it or some driving over it or similar, mechanical protection would not be a bad idea at all. Various cable protector gizmos are available, such as are frequently seen at traveling carnivals, music festivals, etc.

Protection from sun and rain should not be necessary.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber covering is not rubber. It is a special weatherproof compound design to be used outdoors.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber covering is not rubber. It is a special weatherproof compound design to be used outdoors.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being fulltime, our 50 amp cord has laid out for 16 years, 365, 24/7. No problem!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I wipe our 18 year old 50 amp power cord down with 303 periodically, partly because it helps keep dirt from sticking to it. That makes stowing it during moves a little less messy.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
No!

If your feeling like you have free time and want to mess around with something... Wipe it down with coat of 303 protectant. If not, don't worry
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would wipe it down occaisonally to remove dirty and other contaminantes. Something like Armorall will help somewhat.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker