Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth Wheel tire question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Fifth Wheel tire question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/02/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Rear trailer tires will run slightly warmer than fronts that get direct air flow. Driving East of West the sunny side tires will be warmer that the shaded side. However a strong wind against the sunny side can make the shaded side tires carry more load and be warmer. I saw this for Phoenix to Palm Springs with 40 MPH wind out of the South on the 6 hour run.

Fold up stairs right in front of the door side tires can cause them to run slightly warmer.


FWIW, sunny side tires on both my FWs tended to run 10-15 hotter than shaded side. Same on my truck. When towing out here in the SW, in the summer, load charts are out the window. I want them to full cold psi to help dissipate the heat. I've seen nearly 150 on the sunny side tires towing across I-8 to San Diego. My old Komfort, with 860 lbs more GVW than my KZ, would always run in the 140's after 1-2 hours. E tires at 80 psi, 60-65 mph.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/02/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always run all my tires based on LOAD, never an issue. Dats why they have charts!


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Full Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/02/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Me Again wrote:

Rear trailer tires will run slightly warmer than fronts that get direct air flow. Driving East of West the sunny side tires will be warmer that the shaded side. However a strong wind against the sunny side can make the shaded side tires carry more load and be warmer. I saw this for Phoenix to Palm Springs with 40 MPH wind out of the South on the 6 hour run.

Fold up stairs right in front of the door side tires can cause them to run slightly warmer.


FWIW, sunny side tires on both my FWs tended to run 10-15 hotter than shaded side. Same on my truck. When towing out here in the SW, in the summer, load charts are out the window. I want them to full cold psi to help dissipate the heat. I've seen nearly 150 on the sunny side tires towing across I-8 to San Diego. My old Komfort, with 860 lbs more GVW than my KZ, would always run in the 140's after 1-2 hours. E tires at 80 psi, 60-65 mph.

Lyle



So based on that, what do you consider to be hot or out of norm? seems like every time you stop they could be a different temp. Also, checking hubs and rotors can give you very poor temps. You can't check temperature on a shiny metal with a non contact temp device. Now, rusty or crudded up with road grime, will work well.

CALandLIN

SC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/02/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

local Tire guy is saying no problem,...... It was still aired up, and beads were still sealed.


The USTMA says any tire found to have an inflation 20% below the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation, must be considered to have been run in a "run flat" condition and should be dismounted for an internal inspection.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/02/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

local Tire guy is saying no problem,...... It was still aired up, and beads were still sealed.


The USTMA says any tire found to have an inflation 20% below the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation, must be considered to have been run in a "run flat" condition and should be dismounted for an internal inspection.


I know, and my tire guy knows as well.. likeI stated, he agreed to replace the tire with no cost to me..

He offered for me to keep the tire as a spare as he will not send it back to GY


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/02/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:




So based on that, what do you consider to be hot or out of norm? seems like every time you stop they could be a different temp. Also, checking hubs and rotors can give you very poor temps. You can't check temperature on a shiny metal with a non contact temp device. Now, rusty or crudded up with road grime, will work well.


I figure that if all 4 are close, that's my target. I figure that if one is way off, then I have a problem. Same with hubs. Just looking for the oddball that could indicate a problem.

Lyle

* This post was edited 01/03/20 08:57am by an administrator/moderator *

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/03/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same here Lyle.... I am LOOKING for something that stands out !

Joe

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/03/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"He offered for me to keep the tire as a spare as he will not send it back to GY"

That was the correct thing to do! Sounds like good people.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/03/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"He offered for me to keep the tire as a spare as he will not send it back to GY"

That was the correct thing to do! Sounds like good people.


Ron, he is good people.. BUT sometimes needs a good kick in the arse !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Fifth Wheel tire question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.