Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Advice on selling my 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on selling my 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
A.Miel

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2017 fifth wheel that I want to sell. I am not using this forum to sell it, rather just for some advice on pros/cons of putting it up for consignment or selling it privately. I am leaning towards consignment, since I am pretty far out in the country and might be difficult for folks to come out here. Any pitfalls to be aware of when going consignment? Would appreciate advice/suggestions. Thanks!

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Negotiate the deal carefully. Read every sentence. Remember that if the consignment company owner goes bankrupt, you lose it all 99.9% of the time. Does your insurance cover the time on the consignment lot? Oh, you don’t know? Tisk, tisk.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just make sure of what % they want to sell your rig. a friend of mine wanted x amount for his and the company priced it out at twice the amount. and it wasn't worth it so it sat on the lot for a long time before he took it home and sold it himself

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are going to lose a lot of money consigning it.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a friend or relative located in a high traffic area? They may let you park it there, with your phone number on it. Some businesses will let you park it on their lot for sale for a small fee.

Jerry

bertschb

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A.Miel wrote:

Would appreciate advice/suggestions. Thanks!

You will lose a ton of money if you choose to do a consignment. I used RV Trader to sell my last truck and RV (as a package deal) so I would get nationwide exposure. I had a lot of interest and ended up selling to a really nice guy in Texas. He flew to my home state of Oregon and paid full price then drove them home. It was a very smooth transaction. As with any sale to a private party, you need to be really careful to read the people you're dealing with. I'm very sensitive to red flags and feel I'm a pretty good judge of people. I've never traded in anything. All my vehicle sales have been private party and it's saved me tens of thousands of dollars over the years.

I will say consignment (like trading your vehicle in) is much easier and less stressful. That is worth something.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you know about all the scams involved in selling big ticket items. No Checks, certified or otherwise for one. Bank transfer is a good way to go.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could try marketplace on Facebook

Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVTrader and RVT give wide coverage. More local coverage can be had via Craigslist and Offerup. There is a web site that allows you to search all CL pages in the U.S., Canada and Mexico in one place. Searchtempest.com.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've sold my RVs for the most money on Craigslist or RV Trader/RVT but it does take some work. If you're willing and able it will save you a ton of money over trade-in or consignment.

Cliff notes of what I've done:

Write a fairly long ad explaining the trailer and a bit about you - why you are selling, what you enjoyed about the trailer, etc. So many people just put a 10 word ad and it doesn't grab people.

Get GOOD pictures... not blurry cell phone photos. Get a wide-angled lens and some high quality pictures. 99% of the time your buyers are going to find your trailer online and the pictures are your first (and possibly only) impression.

Screen people - from the first point of contact, Google phone #s and email addresses, listen to parts of their story and be sure things add up. Ask for a copy of a driver's license and offer your to them - this weeds a lot of dirtbags out quickly.

Be realistic with pricing. At 3-4 years I've sold (quickly) my trailers at 1/2 of MSRP. At 2 years you should be able to do somewhat better but likely not much.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on selling my 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.