cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can installing weight distribution hitch be a DIY project?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned in another post, my w/d hitch and one of the tension bars is shot

I see an exact replacement online for a lot less than a dealer would charge

Is installing the hitch as a DIY project possible? I could pattern the settings from the unit I have now and then fine-tune it

Thx
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
19 REPLIES 19

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
If you know how to use basic hand tools and follow instructions, you can do it. I installed one having no prior knowledge of how to do it. It took me 45 minutes or so, but it got done.

As a previous poster said, you likely will do better than most dealers. I sold the camper I installed the hitch on and bought a new one. Had the dealer install it since I was already there. It looked level when they pulled it around, but then once I got to see it on an actual level surface, it clearly isn't, so I will have to adjust it. Yes, they installed it, but it isn't properly adjusted. I'l wait to do this until we get most of our gear in it.

I wouldn't blink at installing one again.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
mbopp wrote:
I had to re-do the installation on our last TT after the dealer messed it up.

Not uncommon at all. That is why I made this post quite a few years ago to help members get their hitch set up correctly. Before that, I used to e-mail members a Word copy of it when asked.

You have to realize that most of the techs who set up the hitches at a dealer are not RVers themselves and most likely have never actually towed a travel trailer on the highway. They usually set up a hitch the same way for every trailer that goes out the door regardless of what the instructions say. Also, the setup for a new, empty trailer are quite different from one that is ready to go camping in.
Barney

The last hitch I bought was also the first ever set up by a dealer. It was done by a kid who probably shaves once a week (whether he needs to or not), and he nailed it. I use a bit more bar tension with a full load, and it's perfect. Yes, I was amazed.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
mbopp wrote:

Not uncommon at all. That is why I made this post quite a few years ago to help members get their hitch set up correctly. Before that, I used to e-mail members a Word copy of it when asked.

You have to realize that most of the techs who set up the hitches at a dealer are not RVers themselves and most likely have never actually towed a travel trailer on the highway. They usually set up a hitch the same way for every trailer that goes out the door regardless of what the instructions say. Also, the setup for a new, empty trailer are quite different from one that is ready to go camping in.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure. Follow the steps. You can fine tune it with some trial and error.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
if you can read instruction you can do it it is not that hard
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, the hitch comes with instructions, YouTube is full of vids, and it's a straightforward operation. Go for it. Not only will you save a few bucks, you'll learn how your hitch works.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
It can be a DIY project but you may need some uncommon tools. In the case of the Equal-i-zer, a 1-7/8" thin wall socket and 320 lb torque wrench are recommended to install the ball.

If youโ€™re at all handy, it is an easy install with the exception of this. I was fortunate when I did my install in that I was able to bring the hitch head to work where they had a big a$$ torque wrench.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I (Mr. All Thumbs) did it...therefore anyone can.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sticky thread at the top of this forum has a lot of info. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you're comfortable with sockets and wrenches as well as a tape measure then I would say yes you can. One tip for when it comes time to tighten the hitch ball. Turn the hitch sideways in the receiver so the nut is pointing toward the drivers side of the tow vehicle. Now you can put your socket and bar on it and use your body weight to add some extra oomph.

Same thing goes for loosening the nut. Turn the receiver sideways so the nut points toward the passenger side and use your body weight to help break the nut free.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't know you probably should get some help.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a do it yourself project. As mentioned, you may need special tools. Instead of purchasing those tools, I simply went to a shop and had them tighten an torque the big bolts. I offered them $20, they turned it down. Only took a second.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like most things, when somebody says "Can I do it myself?" I can not answer, and wonder how anybody can. I can say "Yes, it's easy" but I know my tool and skill set. Who knows yours?