cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice on roof

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We are preparing to head south from Minnesota in the next few days. The roof of our 5er has ice and snow on it. The snow will obviously blow off quickly, but we're concerned about the ice. Lately we have had rain, sleet and snow almost at the same time. It looks to be an inch or more thick. As we drive into warmer temperatures, sooner or later it will all come off the roof. What have you all done to avoid that ice flying off and hurting someone?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
11 REPLIES 11

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
run the furnace and space heaters
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

MC9
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, I had no problem til I got to SC. Ice slid off the roof in a
parking lot and sheared off my tailights...

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Even in states with no specific law requiring the removal of snow or ice, you can face consequences under other laws. In N Carolina, there is no snow or ice removal law but there is a law that says if moving and falling snow or ice from your vehicle damages another vehicle, it's an at fault accident on you. In West Virginia, falling snow or ice is considered creating a road hazard and cited as such. This seems to be the standard law that is applied when no specific removal law exist. Just checked and both Nevada and Arizona enforces the same laws on unsecured loads for falling ice off RV's.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the states that have specific snow/ice removal laws: Alaska, Connecticut, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Wisconsin.

Minnesota has no snow/ice removal law like Michigan, for example, but a Minnesota state trooper is quoted on many websites saying snow/ice could be 'considered' a load. I think it's a stretch to say snow is a load that needs to be covered, tied down, secured, etc. (Being a city cop, I've never been too impressed with state troopers, they tend to make stuff up from my experience).
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I think I was trying to avoid climbing up on the roof while it was slippery etc. But I did climb up there and as it turns out there were 2-3 inches of snow up there when the ice landed. So, the rather thin layer of ice was on top of the snow. Once I was up there, I walked all over the entire roof in baby steps and with each step, the ice broke loose, Once that was complete I could sweep it off. So, we are good to go.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Divide that 57.2 by 12 and one inch thick by 1 ft by 1 ft and you have 4.76 lbs per square foot of roof. Just guessing at 35 foot by 8 foot and you have 1335 extra pounds on your roof."

Wow! I wouldn't have thought it so heavy. Huge number.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the Danger aspect to the public, think about what a small sheet of hard ice could do to the items on your roof. Imagine if a large enough sheet hits your a/c shroud, antenna, vents, etc.

Or what could happen to your vehicle if someone in front of you failed to clear their own ice off their RV and it flew off and hit you.

Warm the RV up in advance and let the heat break the ice hold on the roof and remove it, by hand if necessary.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove it. Not only is a danger if it flies off the roof, you are carrying a whole lot of extra weight at the very top of the rig.
A quick google search tells me 1 cubic foot of ice weighs 57.2 lbs. You say you have an inch of ice (or more) on the trailer. Divide that 57.2 by 12 and one inch thick by 1 ft by 1 ft and you have 4.76 lbs per square foot of roof. Just guessing at 35 foot by 8 foot and you have 1335 extra pounds on your roof.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Insulation in most trailers isn't great, you may be able run the furnace or space heaters enough to melt it free of the roof to ease removal.
Just depends on how cold it is there.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely not a good idea to tow it that way. Like ^^^you will be responsible. I'm thinking maybe running the furnace, adding enough heat to loosen, then push off with long handled garage broom.

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
klr650goldwing wrote:
We are preparing to head south from Minnesota in the next few days. The roof of our 5er has ice and snow on it. The snow will obviously blow off quickly, but we're concerned about the ice. Lately we have had rain, sleet and snow almost at the same time. It looks to be an inch or more thick. As we drive into warmer temperatures, sooner or later it will all come off the roof. What have you all done to avoid that ice flying off and hurting someone?

LEGALLY, you are required to remove the ice before traveling, in most states; think "unsecured cargo". If =anything= flies off and a LEO sees it, you can be ticketed. Not sure if there is a truck wash near you where you can spray it off, but I'd sure check. I've seen too many videos from dash cams where people have been hit with ice and heavy snow off the tops of trucks/trailers.

If it's not too thick, maybe just walking on it, CAREFULLY, might break it up enough to be able to sweep it off.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member