Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cell phone Newfoundland
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Cell phone Newfoundland

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will spending 6 weeks in Newfoundland this spring/summer. We have been there before but never seemed to get the phone right. We have Verizon phone but and old AT&T phone we could use. Tell me if you got good service with which phone...which is better AT&T or Verizon. We are retired but have old parents that we need to keep track of....
Donna

Our Blog

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you intend to "roam" in Canada? I'd check with your Verizon/AT&T carriers and

1) see what it will cost to use your US phones up here? I think some have add ons or plans which include use while in Canada.

I know that roaming with Canadian phones in the US can be very costly. We use prepaid AT&T and T-Mobile sim cards while in the US. Not sure about the reverse? It might be easier to get a prepaid Canadian sim card and number for the 6 weeks and add funds as required.

2) see who they have reciprocal tower coverage with? I believe AT&T uses Rogers towers in Canada, and Verizon might be Bell? Then check their coverage maps.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a cheap phone and a 30-day plan (we were there three weeks) in Newfoundland. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't much (compared to ferry and other camping-related costs).

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We added Canada to our Verizon plan. No charge until it is used via Canadian towers.
"Mexico, Canada talk text and data"
Looks like it is now called
Verizon "Travel Pass"
$5 a day when used.
We simply turned phone off for part of the time

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are Canadians who spend our winters in the US, we have an AT&T pay as you go monthly plan in the US which we use. The phone also works in Canada at no additional cost, AT&T pairs with Rogers in Canada. Not sure about the Rogers coverage in Newfoundland, maybe someone can comment on how good it is. With Verizon I understand that you have to have their "right" International phone, one that isn't the CDMA type, all Canadian services use the international standard, GMS, except for some CDMA "left overs" in some areas. AT&T uses GMS.

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all.
DOES ANYONE know how good Rogers coverage is in Newfoundland?
Donna

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this is such baloney. Why can't we use our cell phones anywhere in North America without an issue? Politics?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience, when the phone (Verizon) switches over In Canada, it uses whatever provider is available. I see our phones switch from Rogers to Telus to maybe another one.
All our phones have Canadian plan on them. Idk how much $ but it’s cheap. Nowhere near $5 a day. Want to say more like $10-20 a month. Wife does the bills lol ...
Hope that helps.
Easy button, call your provider or go to a store and ask. You’re in NY, this is a common thing.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcason wrote:

Thanks to all.
DOES ANYONE know how good Rogers coverage is in Newfoundland?
Donna

It looks decent, although I've never used it out there. It should cover most of the major highways and towns.

https://www.rogers.com/business/products........_grp9d0cec90-5081-c502-bd26-8b70f1c3f1fa

Did you know that you need a passport to visit the St. Pierre and Miquelon Islands? They belong to France.

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay away from Rogers unless you're staying mainly on the Avalon.
Our provider offers monthly rate for unlimited talk and text outside of Canada. Cell service is generally pretty good island wide but you will find dead areas and shadows even along the TCH.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Cell phone Newfoundland
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.