Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the first time in a while I met a crackerjack couple when in Monterey's Veterans Park...Carl and Diane. Nicest people...of course he's is retired military...USAF.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it's changed at all. Been camping since we wuz little kids and I don't recall any more or less random socializing now than then.
Sometimes it happens, sometimes it don't. It typically takes 1 party to be more forward than the other and make introductions, etc.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Things change. When most of us started Rving we didn't have social media and RVing was a way of getting away of from the office/social status. I still find that walking a friendly dog has a way of making friends - young/old and even teenagers will put down there cell phones to pet a nice dog.

Kevin

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I have been camping for the better part of 30 years and we've discussed this a couple times in the last year or so. We've noticed people are definitely keeping to themselves more over the last 5 years or so. In that time, I could probably count 15+ minute conversations with fellow campers on one hand. Even when you offer help to someone that may be struggling with something. Most of the time you just get a look like you've insulted them. And I promise you, we're just as friendly as we've ever been![emoticon]

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with the trend you noted. But not all is lost- there are still outgoing folks about.

What we do is just smile and say hello to folks walking by the campsite or when we are on our way to the bath house/etc. Sometimes a nice comment on their d├ęcor, Rv, dog, or whatever. Sometimes that starts a conversation and those are the folks I want to talk to anyway. The grumps can stay inside and isolated if they want.

irishtom29

Round about

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahh, never mind.

* This post was edited 12/31/19 01:51pm by irishtom29 *

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first camping trip Six years ago was to a campground where my wife essentially grew up. I heard about the "community" there. Holiday weekend and NOBODY was outside. Couple more camping trips, same thing. We ended up on a fluke at one campground that had a strong sense of community. We loved it so much that we bought a park model there a few months later and sold the TT.
We have a new TT, and on our 3 week trip, we've seen a mix. Right now, we're sitting in our TT, I'm playing here, she's dealing with her dad's estate. Watching bowl games [emoticon]

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I agree, I like to sit outside and people watch. And also say hi too. While I like to be inside to relax, I like to be outside as much as possible. Even when we were at Cedar Point in Mid July when it was 95 and the humidity was very high, I was still sitting outside relaxing and drinking a beer.

That's why we never go to Cedar Point in mid July.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been full-time since 2011 and have noticed the same things the entire time we have been traveling out here. There are some that will wave and say hi, but don't seem like they really want any conversation. Our idea of socializing though IS NOT activities at a snowbird park. Parks we have stayed at longer term there has been 1 or 2 others that were genuinely friendly that you could sit/chat with for awhile and maybe a bbq or two, but most, no.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

I never have problems finding people to talk to. Maybe it's you, lol

You know the reason I started this thread is b/c I was starting to wonder if it wasn't me (& the Mrs). Never had an issue for years before (neither did she) & judging from a # of the responses here it seems it might not just be me (&/or the Mrs). [emoticon]

Used to be if you were hanging outside with a beer/drink, bbq'ing etc, nearby people would see that as an opportunity to interact some.

Yeah it's gotten so bad the we have to put a cooler out by the front of the truck with a sign that says "Free beer if you talk to me".
Not sure if we have poor taste in beer or people are just more introverted these days but we don't get many takers.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.