Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10...now you are going to have me watching for that sign and cooler, when I'm out walking. I like a good pale ale, but if cold, will drink other.
I may have talked to another forum member, but never think to mention rv.net

Jerry

6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp with family mostly and have no desire to speak to outsiders. If someone approached us we would be friendly but we arent camping to meet new people.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The offroad community seems more sociable than ever. I see posts on social media almost daily this time of year.

Stuff like "family of 4 looking for a group to camp with". Or..."2 old fast guys looking to ride and drink beers till midnight".

They all get replies from complete strangers giving their camp location and time of stay.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHERE ARE YOU NOW, GODUCKS? I’ll talk to you between sips of your beer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

This is 100% the opposite of our experience. We wave and almost always get waves back.

I'm not good at talking to strangers so I won't instigate a discussion unless you have something specific that I have questions about.

I'm OK with talking back if someone else talks to me.

This describes me exactly. I am not antisocial, I am just not good at making conversation.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 02:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand the not good at making conversation. But I try just saying hello and see where it leads. I'll bet more often than not you will have a good conversation out of a random good morning.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 03:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

Agree with the trend you noted. But not all is lost- there are still outgoing folks about.

What we do is just smile and say hello to folks walking by the campsite or when we are on our way to the bath house/etc. Sometimes a nice comment on their décor, Rv, dog, or whatever. Sometimes that starts a conversation and those are the folks I want to talk to anyway. The grumps can stay inside and isolated if they want.

You hit the nail on the head. Folks love to talk about themselves or about their 'stuff'. If you truly want to start a discussion with someone, give a compliment and ask a few generic questions about something visible. Respect their space. Some just do not want to invest time in someone who will be moving on in a week or two or a couple months to never be seen again. Others appear friendly on the 'outside', but their body language tells you they are not interested. Everyone can relate to a smile and a kind voice. Most want to talk about themselves. If you want to be social, start there. Look in the mirror, see what others see. Do you reek of the 'stand offish' attitude or are you welcoming, pleasant, and sincere?

Being kind to others is not rocket science. Being generally interested in others requires an investment of time and a sincere effort to show that you are interested in what they have to say.

Good luck.

Lakeside

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our experiences "Social People" are talkers, not listeners.
You can't get a word in and they don't understand peace and quiet. yak, yak, yak.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're partial to state and national parks over private parks, and we have noticed that weekenders tend to be much less social than the folks staying for a couple of weeks. Maybe it's because they're trying to cram too much in their short stay versus the others that can be more relaxed. One common ice breaker we see quite often is seeing someone with plates from our home state when we're out of state and striking up a "Where about's..." conversation. "Dog talk" is another good conversation starter. And Fizz brings up a good point, it's important to listen more than talk as the conversation progresses. Make sure everyone has their say...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

punomatic

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People are afraid of each other in the current culture. We are taught that using the wrong pronoun is a federal offense. Political views have become catalysts for explosive reactions. It is just not worth it to some to risk having their camping experience ruined by a confrontation. Back in the day, it seems to me, people were more interested in finding common ground. Now so many are "spring-loaded" to the defensive position. JMHO

DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.