Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

This could happen on the RV trail:

Recently I made the mistake of opening the convenience store door that a young lady was headed for. After a two minute tirade using more words than a sailor would be ashamed of, this person flings her hair back, calls me an a---ole and leaves.

I don't open doors anymore for folks unless they have gray hair, a cane, or are in a wheel chair. This new movement that is consuming the country has certainty changed the desire for me to be a gentleman......

I fear another abusive tongue lashing, so don't go there anymore. Not worth the exposure.

Lakeside

I have been rebuked, but still open doors.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also still open doors, and get nothing but thanks. . . what did you do to offend her?

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

AbdRahim

What

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fascinating discussion. I am relatively new at camping only - only five seasons. Socializing is one of the main reasons I go camping. I find it a roll of the dice. On most camping trips, which are longer stays, up to a month, I find someone that enjoys socializing, as I do. Every once in a while I will find a place where interaction is minimal. I find the least social are usually the big expensive DP's, unless they are retired seasonals. It may be explained, in some cases by the fact that if they are working and can really afford those big fancy rigs, they probably have a really high stress job and just want to get away. They desire solitude.

Perhaps I will try sitting closer to the road. I always sit facing the road, and wave, and say hello, to indicate willingness for interaction.

If I find a place that I like, and people that I like, I will often go back to that place.

One couple I met this summer, I will be camping not far from his home, next summer. He is talking about bringing his camper to join me for a weekend. So there are still a bunch of us out there that are looking to socialize and add to the number our friends.

I had to laugh at lakeside013104's comment. Kindness always wins in the end. I still open the door for everybody, man, woman or child.

To extrapolate from another expression, if a person acts humble, polite and kind, one does not know whether or not he is a fool. Some people by their reactions announce to the world that they are. Thus the kind person wins.

* This post was edited 01/01/20 09:24pm by AbdRahim *

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

I also still open doors, and get nothing but thanks. . . what did you do to offend her?

Good question. Honestly, I am not sure what the problem was. All I did was hold the door open like I have done for decades. No conversation from me to her.

Maybe she was having a bad day, that happens to us all. From the jist of her tirade, I gather she has had a recent bad experience with a man.

Her statement went like this, but was much more detailed:
"I don't need no blank blank MAN to do nothing for me".

Double negative, so she might be really saying, 'she needs a man doing something for her'.

No big deal really, other than making me gun shy when it comes to opening doors for younger women.

Life is interesting, is it not?

Lakeside

Elk_traveler

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Socializing today out on camping trip is in my opinion definitely a "dying thing" compared to what I know of the past. I am looking back more than 40 years on road. It seems to us that in the past 20+ yrs. folks have just become just kind of non sociable. Perhaps they just want to stay to themselves or by themselves and of course that's their personal choice. As others have stated there was a time when many folks were just plain friendly came over to chat or if you needed help would offer to do so. We remember even in many state parks before the Rangers became armed guards many would stop by and sit and chat and it was a great feeling that you were kind of like a friend. Many people would stop on the highway to help out a fellow RVer who was having trouble with the rig on the highway. Unfortunately there are so many things about the past RV experience that in our opinion has simply vanished. We feel its basically the same in other areas of the society a general non personal attitude. It seems to us that most prefer to do their socializing on the social media sites or some kind of club not excluding the church especially if its large. We have travel throughout the USA and we see this throughout the country. We're just wishing for the "good ole days" certainly would be nice.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about all this... We always figure campers are a cool and friendly bunch. We always meet people - never made any lifelong or even lasting friends, but often have hour or more long conversations.

Not often actually in the campground though. If we pass by someone sitting outside we will wave and smile, but we would never just walk into their campsite and start talking - that is their space. Well - unless they have the same RV as ours - that has happened a few times. And people have actually come and knocked on our door to talk about our RV...

We mostly meet people out on the trails. And then mostly at cool places where people come from all over to see. Very friendly folks still.

I do agree with the northeast being colder - but only at those campgrounds where mostly local people come to. Everyone avoids eye contact with anyone not in their group. Oh well.

As far as politics - somehow that subject never comes up. We must have been lucky so far and just met the polite folks, I guess.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were old time campers.
Wife and I started in the early '60s for fishing and relaxing and peace and quiet. Were still that way.
We use the campgrounds or rv park to stay in while we fish....hike....take it easy....relax.....enjoy nature. However its almost impossible today...so we rarely camp now like we did at one time.

I've always surprised at how many say they only camp for the socialization experience.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have over 1800 nights, all of the states, all of the provinces literally 100s of CGs behind us. A big part of the travelling joy is the meeting of people along the way.

Like anything else meeting people depends on many things. There are the hermits who park, setup, go inside, never to be seen again. There are the weekend warrior families who keep to themselves. There are those who simply do not want to be bothered with anyone else.

Then there are those who are quick to startup a conversation. It seems like in a far from full CG people are more likely to be chatty. Sunday to Thursday when there are no weekend crowds people seem to wander around more & are quick to yack for a bit.

If there is something different about you it might spark a conversation. We have a one of a kind Bermuda beach scene poster on the front cap of our 5er. We also fly a small Bermuda flag on the pinbox. Every RVer notices the BBQ grill, especially if it is different. Ours is. You don't see a marine grill normally at home clamped to a boat rail clamped to a picnic table very often. The most common conversation starter is the out of state tag. The further the more likely to get a comment.

Then there are the special events where everyone is there for the same purpose. You often get to meet neighbours pretty quick at things like bluegrass festivals, airshows or similar.

A trip to Alaska is always a great mixer. Everyone is on the same road headed for the same adventure. Coming across the same people multiple times is not unusual & most are only too willing to swap stories to give & get advice on where to go & what to do. Those who have time & a flexible itinerary are good for this. The people who are on a mad dash, arrive late, leave early, never to be seen, miss out on the social Northern experience.

Meeting people is much of what you make it. A little eye contact & a smile goes a long way.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread has been very interesting to me. I never understood why anyone would want to camp in an RV park or the equivalent. Now I guess I understand.

BTW, that is also the reason I do not want to stay in them unless absolutely necessary. I do not visit National Parks and other scenic areas to meet the neighbors, tell stories and play cards.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Good question. Honestly, I am not sure what the problem was. All I did was hold the door open like I have done for decades. No conversation from me to her.

Maybe she was having a bad day, that happens to us all. From the jist of her tirade, I gather she has had a recent bad experience with a man.

Her statement went like this, but was much more detailed:
"I don't need no blank blank MAN to do nothing for me". ...
Lakeside

You should have assumed an indignant posture and said "How DARE you assume my gender!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.