Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

This thread has been very interesting to me. I never understood why anyone would want to camp in an RV park or the equivalent. Now I guess I understand.

BTW, that is also the reason I do not want to stay in them unless absolutely necessary. I do not visit National Parks and other scenic areas to meet the neighbors, tell stories and play cards.

I'm with you.

How could you stay in a place such as below and not have any socializing? You should be able to socialize without ever leaving the rig when your window is 6' from the neighbor. I bet the person who is leaving or arriving was having some colorful socialization going on with the folks across the road and beside his site when the shot was taken.

[image]

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

ependydad wrote:

This is 100% the opposite of our experience. We wave and almost always get waves back.

I'm not good at talking to strangers so I won't instigate a discussion unless you have something specific that I have questions about.

I'm OK with talking back if someone else talks to me.

This describes me exactly. I am not antisocial, I am just not good at making conversation.

I also have ZERO ability to end a conversation.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

ependydad wrote:

This is 100% the opposite of our experience. We wave and almost always get waves back.

I'm not good at talking to strangers so I won't instigate a discussion unless you have something specific that I have questions about.

This describes me exactly. I am not antisocial, I am just not good at making conversation.

ependydad, wow, that was you!

I thought I was never going to get away from that urinal! LOL!

Jus Kid'n. [emoticon]

Some people can talk the horns off a billy goat, I fit kinda in the middle. [emoticon]

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

ependydad wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

ependydad wrote:

ependydad, wow, that was you!

I thought I was never going to get away from that urinal! LOL!

Jus Kid'n. [emoticon]

Some people can talk the horns off a billy goat, I fit kinda in the middle. [emoticon]

Safe travels,
MM.

I’m a hugger, too! Makes for interesting pees.

AbdRahim

What

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of socializing. Think we can agree most of us are part of this club. Maybe we should start using this sign instead of waviing.

Truck Gang

Mike

Hey Mike. I think you are on to something. Maybe those of us who are social should put a "Welcome" sign on our campsite, and/or those not wanting to socialize could put an "N" sign on their site. That would make it easier to identify each other. Or [emoticon] (friendly), [emoticon] (leave me alone).

As for politics? Civility has disappeared. I am certainly willing to engage in civil discourse. We can agree to disagree, but lack of discourse and, education and exchange of viewpoints just leads to further division.

* This post was last edited 01/02/20 12:09pm by AbdRahim *   View edit history

Bears Den

Estero, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I have a TT. When we camp, we are always outside reading or playing games. I enjoy waving to people as they pass by and even talking to the ones that stop. We have the mind set that if we wanted to stay in the TT why have it, we can stay in at home. I have noticed over the years that there are more people who just want to be left alone to do their own thing, but it is nice to meet people from other parts of the country and hear their camping stories. I even got a few new places to go talking with one fella.

2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Jayco25E

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to talk. If you are setting outside I will say hi and sometimes start up a conversation. My wife on the other hand is not a talker and likes to set inside. But that is fine. And I get a lot of folks asking questions about the dogs when setting outside and I love to talk about my greyhounds. But is does depend on what park and what time of year you go. Socializing is part of the fun of camping. And you do meet some interesting folks along the way.

2008 Chevy Avalanche
2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife considers me to be an antisocial person, and maybe she’s right, when we are home, but when I’m out in my favorite state park, I’m the most friendly, generous, helpful guy around.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/20 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

lakeside013104 wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

I also still open doors, and get nothing but thanks. . . what did you do to offend her?

Good question. Honestly, I am not sure what the problem was. All I did was hold the door open like I have done for decades. No conversation from me to her.

Maybe she was having a bad day, that happens to us all. From the jist of her tirade, I gather she has had a recent bad experience with a man.

Her statement went like this, but was much more detailed:
"I don't need no blank blank MAN to do nothing for me". ...
Lakeside

You should have assumed an indignant posture and said "How DARE you assume my gender!"

If my brain worked faster, that would have been a good one to respond with. I am old and slow and rely on years of life experiences when dealing with others. I try to give back 'twice' what I get. Show kindness toward me you get double the kindness back. Being ignorant to me, well you get the idea.........

Lakeside

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

I’m a hugger, too! Makes for interesting pees.

OK - this was the best line in the whole thread!!! LOL!

Ed and I tend towards "somewhat reclusive" - we've always worked in businesses that have a lot of interaction with other folks, so when we're camping, we tend to enjoy the quiet. That being said - we recently met up with RobWNY (RV.net) and his lovely wife; and had a great lunch!

You DO meet nice people through camping (and RV.net!)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.