Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig has no tv. I do not use a phone hardly at all.
Rving is a chance to see the country, see the critters and meet the people.
Otherwise it is just being at home with different scenery.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....

I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread.

I sometimes want to be left alone. I am just a weekend camper and if I have plans for the weekend I may spend my free time doing that and the only thing I do at the campground is sleep. I also prefer to be left alone after about 6 pm. I have a few beers, cook something to eat, and go to bed. I'm usually asleep by 9 unless I'm out and about doing something. (Concert, movie, show, etc.)

During the day I let the other campers decide it they want to talk. I will say Hi as I walk by and then leave them alone if they don't strike up a conversation with me.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

...I try to give back 'twice' what I get. Show kindness toward me you get double the kindness back. Being ignorant to me, well you get the idea.........

Lakeside

You and I think alike. I like to say that I'll be your best friend or your worst enemy and I'll let you decide which way it will be.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I,m with the O/P. we have got into the r/v seen about 3 years ago spent a month in Alaska, back to South Dakota and all over Oregon. I can safely say that only one place we stayed was there anyone near sociable. what's wrong with people theses days or is it just a different group of people camping now?

we pulled off in a rundown campground somewhere in Canada. an soon a fellow was pulling in next to us he got parked and I said hello neighbor, when you get settled come over for a beer. he was traveling by himself and soon he was over and what a good time we had talking. the wife was getting ready to make something for diner and ask if he would like to join us, sure he said and got up and went to his R/V and came back with a large bag of fresh caught Halibut. we had a great diner and made a good friend. we all left the next morning and as he was pulling out he handed the wife a bag about 25# of more Halibut and said your nice people.
30 plus years ago me and three of my buddies went for a 2 week trip of Washington and Oregon. we were on Harleys and camping outside on the ground. I never meant so many nice people everywhere we went, it was great. you just don't see that any more. most people now act like your going to rob and **** them. i'm pretty bumbed about r/ving, anymore pulling into a campground is like pulling into a prison. Jay D.

* This post was last edited 01/04/20 07:27pm by badsix *   View edit history

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like "to visit." My grandfathers were experts at it. So are people from Alaska. So are many from Canada. Rural people are the best talkers once you get them going.

We moved to a quiet community 15 years ago. Now I visit with people when I go to the bank. Going to the grocery store I run into friends and chat. I say hello strangers. I wave to people when driving in the valley.

Being friendly and chatting up people is an acquired bunch of skills. My uncle used to call those kind of people "amiable rustics." After years of practice I am one.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The following explains a lot.
You be you and I'll be me.

Introverts sometimes avoid large groups of people, feeling more energized by time alone.
Extroverts, people who finds energy in interactions with others

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've met some great people in our travels. We've also not met some great people as they didn't want to be met. We've also not met some bad people as they didn't want to be met.
I tend to check license plates, locals tend to be weekenders just trying to get some R and R before Monday rolls around again. We once were them so I get it.
Over all I think it's about the same as it always was during the weekdays. Quiet and mostly friendly.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

The following explains a lot.
You be you and I'll be me.

Introverts sometimes avoid large groups of people, feeling more energized by time alone.
Extroverts, people who finds energy in interactions with others

I must be a introvert.

However, I will be nice a cordial to people if they talk to me.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friendliness is relative.
Compared to being in an airport, riding a bus, or walking down the street in a city, an RV is one of the friendliest places around.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Have you tried cooking bacon outside in the morning?

Still remember Bloody Mary Stand set by a member on rv.net rally in SO CA about 10 years ago.
Still have RV.net T-shirt.
When we still go camping with friends, it takes a sponsor to gather 50 rigs like we did.
1 of members come to the rally having 5th wheel and minivan.
Joke of the generation [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.