Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Have you tried cooking bacon outside in the morning?

Still remember Bloody Mary Stand set by a member on rv.net rally in SO CA about 10 years ago.
Still have RV.net T-shirt.
When we still go camping with friends, it takes a sponsor to gather 50 rigs like we did.
1 of members come to the rally having 5th wheel and minivan.
Joke of the generation [emoticon]

I remember some guy showed up to that rally with a boat to camp in.... Oh... That was you! [emoticon]

I also remember some guy with a giant margarita glass..... Oh... That was me! [emoticon]

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

96Bounder30E wrote:

I remember some guy showed up to that rally with a boat to camp in.... Oh... That was you! [emoticon]

Yeah. Still remember that I was probably 1 in a million campers who needed 30amp to 20 power adapter.
Amazingly not only something like that existed, but fellow member had 1 to lend me.
Now moving to Vegas, I have nice collection of margarita glasses in all sizes.
How about that Eric?

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im all for small talk and a little conversation but i feel like some people get too friendly. "Read the room" so to speak. If im kicked back in my lawn chair staring at the clouds it should be obvious im not up for conversation. Too many ratchet jawed people in this world lol. I don't need to hear your whole life's story in the first 5 minutes of talking to you. Small talk and short conversations go a long way in my book.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

Too many ratchet jawed people in this world lol..

Hey, we are only human [emoticon]
We have group of 8 close friends and since we are almost all retired, we meet quite often for hiking or camping.
Seem we all like to talk and often when around the table, we have to make simulated microphone as 4 persons talking at the same time makes no sense.
A designated spoon, or champagne cork gives the right to speak only to 1 person.
Still at community gathering, we met a woman who outspoken us all.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

ZINGERLITE wrote:

We have group of 8 close friends and since we are almost all retired, we meet quite often for hiking or camping.
Seem we all like to talk and often when around the table, we have to make simulated microphone as 4 persons talking at the same time makes no sense.
A designated spoon, or champagne cork gives the right to speak only to 1 person.

Passing the microphone/spoon works good for marital issues too. You know, like when the wife always wants to argue about every little thing. Don't pass the spoon...PROBLEM SOLVED!![emoticon]

Jerry

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

ZINGERLITE wrote:

Passing the microphone/spoon works good for marital issues too. You know, like when the wife always wants to argue about every little thing. Don't pass the spoon...PROBLEM SOLVED!![emoticon]

Jerry

All fun and games until she starts "passing" knives lol.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update to my 1st post of the thread.

We were out in SoCal last week for 4 nights/5 days, part of which ran thru the weekend, at a military rv park that was basically near capacity the entire time. We hardly got a glimpse of anyone else & this was with daytime temps in low 70s (absolutely beautiful weather to be lounging around outside).

Each time out now I'm getting more convinced people nowadays are either hermits, paranoid that everyone else they've never met is a threat to be avoided, &/or are in the initial phase of some witness protection program 8-).

The Mrs has actually started looking into seeing what some of the RV clubs are about, which I never thought we'd be doing as I see them as more of a retired or full-timer's deal (which is not us).

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't figure it out ether, whats wrong. probably 40 years ago three of us jump on our Harleys and took off on a two week tour of northern Oregon and Sothern Washington. everywhere we stopped to camp the people were just great. I thought camping, what a great way to meet nice people. one evening we got to the camp ground at the top of Mnt. Rainer our camp site was nothing but large rocks. so we got to arguing who was going to get the picnic table to sleep on. when a lady from the RV adjacent to us came over with a smile and said, when you guy get this figured out come over and I'll make some martinis. we went over and soon us and some other people were playing cards the lady made some snacks and we had a great time. we finally broke up about 2 AM. she then pulled out a couple air matrasses for us to use. this was one of my greatest camping times you can sure bet this wouldn't happen now days.
Jay D.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 03:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the RV community aint all that fun to begin with? Lets be real about it. There are lots of ways to go camping. You can bring a tent to the desert and dig a hole for a fire. The struggle brings out the personality of the person willing to do that.

Now what would expect the personality to be of a person who drives a portable house to a concrete pad parked 10 feet away from some other sorry sob doing the same thing? Its not gonna be a manly man with a strong family willing to step outside the box and interact with strangers. There is a reason their family camping trip is on a concrete pad. Its a dorky dad with his dorky family whos gonna park there and do the smores thing over a freshly lit fire.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/20 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote: "Its a dorky dad with his dorky family whos gonna park there and do the smores thing over a freshly lit fire."

I will add, 'smores thing over a freshly lit fire from a petroleum soaked fake log'......
I'll bet those smores were tasty and not very good for one's health!

Another poster mentioned how some folks want only to speak about their entire life and not allow anyone else to join the conversation. I too, do not enjoy being around narcissistic, 'it's all about me' kind of people. I find an excuse to walk the dog or the necessary to complete some other 'busy' work.

Occasionally I meet someone who is interesting to converse with. Usually that involves some like interest or a career that involved an interesting, to me, topic. Conversation comes easy and is enjoyable with polite, non-self absorbed individuals.

I don't enjoy being around screaming ill mannered children, uncontrolled untrained pets, or obnoxious self involved imbeciles, or drunk individuals playing loud music.

I go camping for me and my peace of mind. I do not need to be entertained by someone else's idea of fun. If an interesting person happens to come by, we enjoy each others company for a spell and go on our own way.

Works for me.

Lakeside

* This post was edited 01/12/20 02:46am by lakeside013104 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.