Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^

OK guys - let's not get nasty...

Just talking about how they travel cheaply.

Who said I look down on them? [emoticon]

On edit...
Now that I'm feeling bad about this I have to say I didn't mean to sound snarky and if I did I apologize to Pangaea Ron. I enjoyed the story.

* This post was edited 01/12/20 04:37pm by pasusan *

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks pasusan

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Update to my 1st post of the thread.

We were out in SoCal last week for 4 nights/5 days, part of which ran thru the weekend, at a military rv park that was basically near capacity the entire time. We hardly got a glimpse of anyone else & this was with daytime temps in low 70s (absolutely beautiful weather to be lounging around outside).

Each time out now I'm getting more convinced people nowadays are either hermits, paranoid that everyone else they've never met is a threat to be avoided, &/or are in the initial phase of some witness protection program 8-).

The Mrs has actually started looking into seeing what some of the RV clubs are about, which I never thought we'd be doing as I see them as more of a retired or full-timer's deal (which is not us).

Paranoia might very well be some of it. A lot of people these days set around eyeing their neighbors and thinking "that guy is out to get me". What they don't realize is that their neighbor is eying them back thinking the same thing.

Fear of the unknown, and the imaginary, has caused a lot of people to become isolated and lonely.

I know people like that. They were not that way when they were young but, became bitter old people. I don't spend much time visiting them anymore they can't find anything nice to say about anyone or anything.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP asked, "Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?"

I, for one, ain't going to vote for no socializing. I like what we got.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

Also I think those of you who don't understand why we don't want to kick back and do beers or martinis, the US is a very diverse place. Some don't drink for religious or health reasons, some play mah Jong instead of rummy, some don't speak English as a first language or come for predominantly minority communities. It's not 1960 any more. Your way of socializing is not mine. Live and let live.

I have no problem with respecting anyone's prerogatives in regard to how they do it (camping/RVing).

I don't force interaction / socializing on anyone & I'm very good at reading things like folks' body language & whatnot. This intent of this thread was about my observation that once upon a time, not too awfully long ago, RVing was like off-roading & boating was/is.... an activity where you were constantly around cool/interesting people that knew how to 'play hard' & enjoyed being around others that did as well.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100%
Jay D.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We call it the "It might rain or the wind might blow" response to any proposal. We "had" a very active single's group that now finds more wrong with a suggestion than what is right. Boring!

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....

Confucius say: Too many cell phone!! People sit at table to eat and look at cell phones. [image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Confucius say: Too many cell phone!! People sit at table to eat and look at cell phones. [image]

Nail --> Head.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

I don't force interaction / socializing on anyone & I'm very good at reading things like folks' body language & whatnot. This intent of this thread was about my observation that once upon a time, not too awfully long ago, RVing was like off-roading & boating was/is.... an activity where you were constantly around cool/interesting people that knew how to 'play hard' & enjoyed being around others that did as well.

Same here

Maybe its our perception as we're getting older, I think most young folks that get involved in socializing when camping/rving are probably doing it for their children. When the kids move on so don't the parents into different activities. (note all the rvs that you see unmoved year after year from your local neighborhood) [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.