Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in our boating days we flew a variation of the quarantine flag when we did not want to be disturbed i.e. have friends come alongside uninvited.

It was the all yellow quarantine flag with a smiley face marked on it. It signalled to others that the vessel flying the flag did not have any children onboard & the occupant parents were having a uh, ummm, 'rejuvenating' weekend.

Maybe we need a similar "Do not disturb" signal for campsites.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cell phone thing might be part of it too. I check mine once in the morning and occasional in the evening. But, my girlfriend will set around at the campground on her phone all day and night playing things like poker and such. We have had some "talks" about that.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 01/14/20 01:32pm by CavemanCharlie *

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think one of the biggest reasons for not socializing is politics.
These days everyone is offended by everything. There is no more live and let live or agree to disagree. Look at all the protests, about everything, going on. People are so stratifiedbin their beliefs that in many cases they are willing to get physical to defend them.
This is not confined to camping or rving. I have this going in daily life. I am not liberal or conservative. I feel that both have good ideas and bad ones. I reserve tje right to be my own person. However this becomes problematic, as a have good friends on both sides and both are so strong in their beliefs that they are willing to fight and dissolve freindships over this ****.
I find it extremely hard to engage in any type of conversation that doesn't offend someone about something.

Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

The cell phone thing might be part of it too. I check mine once in the morning and occasional in the evening. But, my girlfriend will set around at the campground on her phone all day and night playing things like poker and such. We have had some "talks" about that.

When camping we leave one phone plugged in the TV, the other in camper. If one of use leaves in pickup, we can call each other. Tell everybody that might need to contact us "Send text to both phones"

patnchris wrote:

For most of our lives we have been told "Don't discuss politics in polite company" This, IMHO, has taken us to the point where politics can not be discussed politely. But without discussion, how do your compare ideas to decide which is best?

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patnchris wrote:

You got that right. When one side wants to throw the opposition in prison and the other side thinks the people in charge are money grubbing pigs, there is not much to talk about. The anger and hate is sad and dangerous. I lost a ten year "friend" the other day when I asked her where she was getting her "facts". At happy hour, we now say that we can talk politics until Judy or Al get there.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patnchris wrote:

These days everyone is offended by everything. There is no more live and let live or agree to disagree. Look at all the protests, about everything, going on. People are so stratifiedbin their beliefs that in many cases they are willing to get physical to defend them.
This is not confined to camping or rving. I have this going in daily life. I am not liberal or conservative. I feel that both have good ideas and bad ones. I reserve tje right to be my own person. However this becomes problematic, as a have good friends on both sides and both are so strong in their beliefs that they are willing to fight and dissolve freindships over this ****.
I find it extremely hard to engage in any type of conversation that doesn't offend someone about something.

I solve this problem by hanging out with the old cowboys. We find disagreements are a reason to pour another one. Have good times.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....

I was thinking about this. Maybe you have changed too ? Is it possible that years ago you had a more modest camper and stayed in different types of parks then the ones you do now ?? If you now have a large expensive camper and stay in private parks, or different types of parks then you used to, then that could be a difference too I suppose.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with POWERTURE on this, and no I don't think I've changed that much. other than i'm older, older in body but still a child in my mind as my wife says. we don't stay in ritzy campgrounds, just the normal run of the mill campgrounds. and it seams everywhere NO ONE is sociable. I don't think politic has much to do with it. its just people act like they are afraid of you,like what's he going to do to me or what does he want from me. we were at a C/G and I was just walking out with my dog, a Boxer the most friendly dog you'll ever see. as I get to the road there's a older lady walking her dog, there are no problems with the dogs. as we started walking the same way I said pleasantly can we join you. she looks at me in horror says nothing and turns around and starts walking the other way. that's fine to me no big deal, maybe I didn't smell good or something. but to not say anything is strange.
Jay D.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I was thinking about this. Maybe you have changed too ? Is it possible that years ago you had a more modest camper and stayed in different types of parks then the ones you do now ?? If you now have a large expensive camper and stay in private parks, or different types of parks then you used to, then that could be a difference too I suppose.

Valid point / question the answer to for us is 'yes' we've self-reflected on the possibility of it, however, the answer to both things is very definite 'no' for us.

We have a very modest rig nowadays by any RV description, stay in ordinary campgrounds & the fact we've had to post about what we feel is a modern-day phenomenon that is lots of people being non-social seems to be proof that we're not the ones being anti-social.... we're sad that so many other RVers seem to be nowadays.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.