Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

it's RARE to even see anyone outside of their rig's nowadays, & when we do people seem to be taking A-->B tracks that intentionally avoid contact with strangers. Hence the 'take' that on the whole, people are a lot more anti-social nowadays.

It is an interesting observation. I did not read all 13 pages but the question and the early answers intrigued me.

When we first started RV vacations one of the things we really liked was meeting people. For sure a few decade ago I would say that, without fear of contradiction, people with RV's were in general more friendly and more open to conversation and socialization. In the evenings we would always walk and talk to anyone we met. If we passed a site with people outside who said "good evening" we often struck up conversations. If we didn't meet campers we met employees.

Over the last few years we have not camped much and done more cruising. We always meet people on cruises and we always sit at large tables so we can meet people. Most have been interesting, some have been boring,but rarely. On our last cruise we were put at a table for 2 and had it changed on the first night - I was bemused to find out that there was a waiting list for tables of 2 and getting moved to a table of 10 was easy.

So yes... culturally I think we are moving towards preferred isolation.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we stayed in Leavenworth WA. on our way to South Dakota. it was a kOA and when we got to our site there were 3 bicycles on my pad. so I stop and get out and start to move them next door were there was a couple more bikes. a man comes out and says i'll take care of them. I said no problem i'm not going to be on this side of my T/T. he doesn't say any more and go's back inside. we are there the rest of the afternoon and until noon the next day and NEVER ONCE did we see them again outside. there must have been 3 kids and 2 adults what could you do all that time cooped up in an rv.( ah I know, they all had smart phones).you see this phenomenon all over, some places are like ghost towns or ghost camp grounds.
Jay D.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Substituted technology for human interaction. I guess in the future we will probably have virtual reality friends that will mirror or own personality. Virtual reality campgrounds where you always have a perfect experience. Like the Star Trek holideck.

Sometimes I wonder if were not digressing as a society.

* This post was edited 01/21/20 07:58pm by colliehauler *

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you set up next to me, I will go out of my way to say hello, and hope to have a conversation. Where have you been, what have you done, what are you doing next.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it can't be true, are there really people like you out their!
Jay D.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Substituted technology for human interaction. I guess in the future we will probably have virtual reality friends that will mirror or own personality. Virtual reality campgrounds where you always have a perfect experience. Like the Star Trek holideck.

Sometimes I wonder if were not digressing as a society.

Amen brother.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As only been RVing the last couple of years and coming from a long history of camping, I wish to tell you that there is a world of difference between camping and Rving. Trust me!
Years ago, whether we camped out of a tent or a van, 90% of our time was outdoors. Cooking, eating, sitting, walking, fishing, what ever, we were outside. That is camping!!!
That's why there was more socializing. Who can resist walking past a campsite with bacon cooking on the open fire and not making a comment? A conversation is born. That's camping! Same goes for a pot roast in a dutch oven and the aroma whiffing about all day! That's camping!
Today we are RVers, primarily due to age and ailments and have to admit that we spend more time in the coach than wanted. But still get out to enjoy our great country!
Campers are outside sitting at the picnic tables enjoying the outdoors and are socializing while too many RVers emerge only to adjust their satellite dish.
But that's just my take on it.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really do feel technology is affecting that way that people interact.

I took my two great nieces to a water park adventure traveling in the motorhome. They were 14 at the time. I wondered if they would be loud etc.,..... they had their noses stuck in their phones. It's a different world from when we were that age!

We took them to a nice 'river-side' restaurant and I told them that no phones allowed at the table so the phones were left in the car. We had the most wonderful conversation.

The world will certainly be different with all the technology now. So much of it is wonderful but that also brings along the negatives too.

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

badsix wrote:

it can't be true, are there really people like you out their!
Jay D.

Thanks. I try to be the charming(?) guy in the CG.

Me wife says to herself: Where's Ron? He's perhaps wandering around the CG visiting with other campers. . . I hope that he comes back in time for dinner?

I will, because I cook dinner!

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this site represents a microcosm of the RVing society as a whole, then I submit to you socializing is anything but dead. The sheer percentage of folks posting here who are the socializing type would suggest that there's RV block parties going on at every campground in the good ole USA.

I can tell you that when we are out RVing, we are rarely at the campground, except evenings. I wonder how many people assume we are holed up in our RV. We carpool when RVIng with our friends, so sometimes my truck is at camp, sometimes it's not.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.