Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on your definition of 'socializing'. I socialize with others when I walk my dogs, 4-5 times a day. Some we've met over the years, socializing is a daily "happy hour" with their clique and this 'clique' does everything together, to include going out to dinner, movies, etc. I'm not interested in the latter, however, we have met some couples that we enjoy an occasional lunch/dinner together, but not something on a constant basis.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw this post on another RV forum. Pretty good example of why things are the way they are. Most everyone else agreed that, thats the way they camp as well sorta. With the way the MFG's are designing the interiors it's easy to see why people are more comfortable sitting inside.

Anyone else who doesn't "camp"?

We (wife, me, and two cats) have a 26BH we've used to travel from Michigan to Pennsylvania, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and many points in between. We tend to go to medium to larger cities and stay on the outskirts as we visit museums, historical sites, and civil war battlefields. And, the occasional concert.

We have a charcoal grill for some of our cooking, but we've never built a campfire, and we seldom sit outside our trailer. We severely modified our 26BH so it has a large living room on the one end, with comfortable seating.

When we're outside, it's to go for a walk around the campground, or to go for a walk in downtown Nashville, Mobile, Chattanooga, etc.. We pretty much never make friends with our campground neighbors, even though we've started spending the entire month of February in the suburbs of Mobile.

We like full hookups, although we increased our battery capacity to allow for limited boon docking. We love Walmarts for a stopover as we travel to a destination. We're happy with any campground that has full hookups, a laundry, few amenities, and is QUIET.

We're "second tier" travelers. As much as we might enjoy the Florida Keys, we made the decision early on to stick with states that aren't so touristy. Or pricey.

Our trailer is our portable, comfy cabin that happens to show up in new places that interest us.

Anyone else use the trailer like we do?

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our RV as a base camp to hike and tour around. Sitting around drinking beer is not our thing. As for socializing, I'm into that. With my family, not so much with strangers. Don't take offense if you don't see me.

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also I think those of you who don't understand why we don't want to kick back and do beers or martinis, the US is a very diverse place. Some don't drink for religious or health reasons, some play mah Jong instead of rummy, some don't speak English as a first language or come for predominantly minority communities. It's not 1960 any more. Your way of socializing is not mine. Live and let live.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've met hugely interesting people in adjacent campsites. There was a couple next to us in a rented graffiti-encrusted mini-van in upper BC, Canada. They were from New Zealand, and were trying to cook in their rear mounted tailgate kitchen as it was starting to rain. We invited them in for a glass of wine as their meal was cooking. We had a great time together, and also invited them for breakfast in the morning, as it was going to freeze overnight and cooking in their rear kitchen would have been less that wonderful in the morning. They joined us and gave us some NZ dollars (for my birthday gift) to use when we came to visit them in NZ. They live on the beach on an island offshore from Aukland, and invited us to visit them. They made more $$ renting their beach house than they spend on travel around the world. We've visited NZ several times and look forward to visiting with them in NZ for America's Cup yacht racing next year.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

They made more $$ renting their beach house than they spend on travel around the world.

Well... Yeah... Look how they "travel"...

Quote:

a rented graffiti-encrusted mini-van in upper BC, Canada. They were from New Zealand, and were trying to cook in their rear mounted tailgate kitchen as it was starting to rain.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If RV socializing was a fading past time this thread would not have 10 pages of comments.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

They made more $$ renting their beach house than they spend on travel around the world.

Quote:

a rented graffiti-encrusted mini-van in upper BC, Canada. They were from New Zealand, and were trying to cook in their rear mounted tailgate kitchen as it was starting to rain.

If you look down on the way they, or anybody else travels, you might be part of the problem.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^ BINGO !
Jay D.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

pasusan wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Quote:

If you look down on the way they, or anybody else travels, you might be part of the problem.

Well said!

They were great people and their waterfront home and guest house is valued at over $1,500.000 USD. They loved adventure and actually came to visit us in Anacortes with their daughter who is an executive in a high end Vancouver clothing manufacturer. We spent the day yacht racing. He is an accomplished NZ sailor and retired young from a very successful professional career.

I think that their camper van was rented from Wicked Vans in Vancouver, BC. Not my style but certainly a way to start a conversation and begin a friendship.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.