Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
irishtom29

Round about

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eh, never mind.

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If someone talks to me I will talk with them but in the first 2 minutes if you have told me about the 4 operations that you had, your spouses bad back, the bankruptcy you had, your sleep apnea, the emergency surgery your dog had and naming people in your family as if I know them and all their health issues......I'm out

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can go along with that^^^ POITICS AND PERSONAL LIFE IS OUT. but I see nothing wrong WITH NORMAL chitchat, like with asking where are you from. I find it interesting to talk to people from other areas and about the area they live in. it use to be conversation starter. i'm in Coos BAY OR. and it seems like almost everywhere I go someone has ether live there or knows someone that does. conversation is amazing people should try it a little more often.
Jay D.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patnchris wrote:

I think one of the biggest reasons for not socializing is politics.
These days everyone is offended by everything. There is no more live and let live or agree to disagree. Look at all the protests, about everything, going on. People are so stratifiedbin their beliefs that in many cases they are willing to get physical to defend them.
This is not confined to camping or rving. I have this going in daily life. I am not liberal or conservative. I feel that both have good ideas and bad ones. I reserve tje right to be my own person. However this becomes problematic, as a have good friends on both sides and both are so strong in their beliefs that they are willing to fight and dissolve freindships over this ****.
I find it extremely hard to engage in any type of conversation that doesn't offend someone about something.

I have friends, that are very opposite in their political views and I know it, I simply do not go that way in conversation. I enjoy their friendship too much to go there and there are a lot of things we do have in common to talk about.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can try that, but again, very difficult to not offend someome.
Think about it....Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota
That's an automatic argumemt.
Sports unless you are all fans, is a problem
(And I have one friend who thinks all sports
are stupid and will always argue that anyone interested is of limited mental capacity.)
Camping...some will argue that tenting is the only real camping and rv people are ruining nature.
Campfire....Some must have it. While some say that the smoke is causing damage to their rv and they will lose money when they sell it.
Don't get me started on dog or no dog.
This my sound silly but the truth is people will argue about almost anything
We have entered onto an age where if someone has different ideas or does something you don't, or maybe their hobby is different than yours, you are wrong, or mentally unbalanced, or grossly unimformed.
I used to fish, alot. My neighbor liked to play golf. I accepted that he liked golf, however he couldn't get over that I didn't and the idea that I liked to fish meant that "I had a few too many damaged brain cells" (not a joke. He would bring it up over and over anytime we got together with others)
The world we live in has become overly judgemental. If I have a trailer and you have a motorhome, then I am wrong for not having one. God forbid if I buy a pop up. We'd never camp together again.
I like to wear jeans..but overheard one guy say it was a shame that I was so poor I couldn't afford slacks..had to bite my tongue on that one.
I know I sound thin skinned, but I'm really not. I just don't understand why I should have to agree with everyone, just not to start an escalating argument. Everyone seems to need to defend their position "to the death"no matter what the subject. Just look around. Much easier to nod, wave, and go about my business. Then I don't offend anyone.

Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was born I did not know not to trust people. Somehow I learned it on my own. Man is the most dangerous animal on the planet. Have you considered how difficult it is to make a new truly good friend? You have to work at it. Join and participate, join and participate. There's several RV associations. There's lots of RV activity. Get in touch with them and find someone who can answer your questions regarding the cost of it.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't socialize at all, you are missing out on knowledge of some places to visit that you wouldn't otherwise ever hear of. I cant begin to cite how many tips I have received from camping 'strangers' of places to camp or otherwise enjoy.

If you want to get out of a conversation, just feign your phone going off and say 'Oops, gotta go. See ya!'.

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this topic has come more from the psychological bents of the OP more than the reality in the camping/RV world.

If you're anywhere close to being self confident and self assured you'll make comments to complete strangers and judge the reaction. The result is almost always positive. Example: Today in SE Michigan we got a dump of wet heavy snow. Even the Grocery store parking lots were un-ploughed... Going in and out of the store I spoke to people I have never seen before with the phrase "Nice weather if you're a Penguin"... In both instances the responses were friendly and positive, (or negative depending on how you see deep, wet snow ;-) )...

It's the same in the campgrounds. Be friendly, approachable and familiar and others will be the same. It's easy to appear to be unapproachable but it's also very easy to approach. The problem is probably more the reticence to approach than the approachability of others...

Your way of dealing with others is reflective of how others see and deal with you.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a business. I talk to people all day long...5 days a week. Some of my conversations are good, some are not so good, some are flat out bad. When I get time to leave the office and put down the phone, let me assure you that I am not interested in talking to you as you stroll past my campsite, see me at the pool, or cross paths with me along a trail. I am not anti-social, but I get burned out and need to relax and rejuvenate. When I’m ready, I’ll talk to you.

But truth be told, even when we’re out camping, we are VERY social amongst ourselves, with or children and with the people we are camping with (when we go with friends). I personally don’t prefer talking to strangers...never have.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

I think this topic has come more from the psychological bents of the OP more than the reality in the camping/RV world.

Your way of dealing with others is reflective of how others see and deal with you.

I would put forth the preceding 13 pages (& counting) of this thread, with most of the comments kind of agreeing with my perceived observation ref people being more anti-social nowadays, as indicative that it's not a personal-to-me-phenomenon due to my 'psych bents'. But then again I am biased. [emoticon]

I also think you may have missed a big part of what I've been noting in the thread.... it's not that I'm bemoaning the fact that people rebuke me &/or the wife when we initiate any kind of human contact with other campers, but rather that it's RARE to even see anyone outside of their rig's nowadays, & when we do people seem to be taking A-->B tracks that intentionally avoid contact with strangers. Hence the 'take' that on the whole, people are a lot more anti-social nowadays.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.