Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2004.5 Dodge 3500 towing capacity questions?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2004.5 Dodge 3500 towing capacity questions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a picture of your truck?

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

The legal towing capacity is set by the manufacturer and mods will not change that. They can make the vehicle more stable.

Legal capacity is set per federal bridge laws. States cannot legally use a lower than max limit, or feds can with hold federal roal road funds.

Manufactures do set warranty rating limits. Go over this amount, the damage done to rig with in warrant is caused by being over ANY of the manufacture numbers, will void warranty.

Being as OP is well beyond any warranty issues. He gets wieght wise about 12,000 lbs per axle on truck with his close to 12" wide tires, plus what ever the max axle capacity is per bridge laws.

You can spouse this BS in other forums, don't spout false info here.

With this said, it might not be smart running down the road at 24,000 GVW. As an LEO will get you off the road if you are unsafe in some way shape or form. Usually brakes that do not meet a field test. Then you are red tagged, not getting off the road to a repair yard, or you getted low boy hauled to repair yard.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve, looks like you are here in Washington St.
Follow grits advice if you have the stock tire option. If not, avoid steeper grades or those tires could make you stall out if you get stopped in the middle of a grade
Look up RCW 45 & 46 for laws regarding spoeds and wieghts here in Washington. Follow, enjoy your trip.

Marty

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power isn't going to be an issue with an Edge and the NV5600.
Not sure where you're located Steve but I have basically the same truck with a 70 HP towing tune. I pulled the hill on Simmonds Road in Kenmore Wa. with my buddy's 15K# boat in tow. His 454 Suburban could only do 25 up this hill and he was afraid he was going to blow it up so he asked me pull it for him. I Started from a dead stop at the bottom of the hill and let off at 65..

A few weeks later he bought a new Dodge. [emoticon]

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott,

I used to live at top of that hill, ex still does. 11% going from inglewood, 9% from 100th. Not real steep local grades. The grade going up by the Fruhling pit and Kenmore gun club to the old nike site is a better grade to see how well you will do. Or novelty Hill from Duvall to Redmond, thats 18%. That hairpin switch back in the middle is a mother!
Any not surprised at speeds with a 454. Depending upon trans, those did not have hill pulling ability. My 96 6.5 NV4500 did not do too bad in stock form at 15K gcw. Faster than the two 454's I had.

Marty

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh I know those places well Marty. I live off 228th (accross from Canyon Park Middle School) and I once drove my car off one of those hairpin turns on the Duvall end of Novely Hill road in the snow!
That poor Sub was pre-Vortec too.

Scott

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i had a 4bbl and TBI 454. The TBI was a bit better than the 4bbl, even tho both had 235/385 specs. Issue both had the POS TH400 trans behind them. Too tall of gears in fist. Stalled them out on mid teen to 20% grades quite frequently, blew up trannys every 30K like clockwork, even with 6K fluid and 12K complete flushes including the TC.

Im probably not too far from you in Brier by the middle school. There are a couple of dozies coming up here from the east to west too!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Oh I know those places well Marty. I live off 228th (accross from Canyon Park Middle School) and I once drove my car off one of those hairpin turns on the Duvall end of Novely Hill road in the snow!
That poor Sub was pre-Vortec too.

Scott

I lived in Alderwood Manor 204th and 24th Pl and did the 228th street hill a lot. It would give new meaning to Dexter Dam hill tow testing(like get a life, that is not a hill).

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been on that road many times visiting my grandfather starting at 5 years old. It was steep to me at that age.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

228th is not the longest road around. BUT it is steep! If you have the wrong ie too tall overall gearing. You have a 500/1000 TD motor, you're not going going up it. Local roads will always screw one over. Freeways are easy least. Issue with freeways, said 500/1000 motor depending on total gvw, will keep you going at a reasonable speed.

Marty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2004.5 Dodge 3500 towing capacity questions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.