Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2004.5 Dodge 3500 towing capacity questions?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2004.5 Dodge 3500 towing capacity questions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Or novelty Hill from Duvall to Redmond"

GOOD memories!!! Dated the "Barrett Sisters" that lived at the bottom of that Hill.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

GOOD memories!!! Dated the "Barrett Sisters" that lived at the bottom of that Hill.

How many sisters at once? [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

How many sisters at once? [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Hey Chris...was just going to post the same! Some guys just seem to have all the fun!! [emoticon]

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOT that lucky guys!

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Well that’s quite the combo! You use 1st gear taking off empty I presume with those 40” semi truck tires?
Obviously 15k is a bit over the OE rating, but you’re nowhere close to OE.
15k behind a very similar truck (our 07 with a canned tune and clutch) pulls just fine. I’ve towed that much or more a few times when my company half ton just wouldn’t cut it, lol.
That truck with a tuner and a stout clutch (or even an OE clutch) will pull 15k with relative ease on normal size tires.
The brodozer tires combined with the tall gears (for that tire size) will hurt that ability considerably.
With that clutch and rappin it out in each gear, I surmise it’s doable. But it will be much easier on you and the truck with some normal 32-34” tall tires.
It is short trips, but if you have to start out on or pull any significant grades, I’d 100% ditch the semi wheels for a cheap set of 8 lug OE type wheels and tires. (If you haven’t done a permanent 10 lug conversion). If relatively flat terrain, I’d try it but be ready to use 4 lo for maneuvering the trailer to stay off the clutch.

The “rest” of the truck will be fine if your brakes and driveshaft are in good shape and the trailer has good brakes.

Yes, they are semi tires and if I have considered switching out gears for 4.33 gears. The most annoying thing with that tire/gear combo comes when backing trailers.

The project involves a water tank trailer (gooseneck) 15 miles emptying then 15 miles bach full. On the loaded leg I have modest grade. Nothing severe.

Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Power isn't going to be an issue with an Edge and the NV5600.
Not sure where you're located Steve but I have basically the same truck with a 70 HP towing tune. I pulled the hill on Simmonds Road in Kenmore Wa. with my buddy's 15K# boat in tow. His 454 Suburban could only do 25 up this hill and he was afraid he was going to blow it up so he asked me pull it for him. I Started from a dead stop at the bottom of the hill and let off at 65..

A few weeks later he bought a new Dodge. [emoticon]

Funny [emoticon]

I recently bought a gas Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 to pull my little trailer. I hate it. I took one trip from Dayton to Granite Falls and back. Upon arriving at home I promptly put a for sale sign on it.

To speak to someone other comments:

The trip will be between St. Johns Arizona and a remote site out in the sticks. The trailer carries about 1500 gallons of water.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but this is a gooseneck trailer with two 10k axles.

Thanks again Everyone for the input.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as posting pics.... I thought that I had uploaded pics to my profile here but don't see them now. I am reluctant to post new ones until I get a chance to wash the truck [emoticon] I have been parking under a tree that has covered my truck with **** and driving dirt roads daily... [emoticon]

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PMW_Steve wrote:

The trip will be between St. Johns Arizona and a remote site out in the sticks. The trailer carries about 1500 gallons of water.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but this is a gooseneck trailer with two 10k axles.

I think your loaded weight will be closer to 20K with that much water but I would still do it without any worries.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

St Johns, beautiful country around there.
We used to go ride our snomachines around Greer. Get some weird looks hauling the the sleds thru Phoenix....
So easy peasy once you’re in first gear.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

PMW_Steve wrote:

I think your loaded weight will be closer to 20K with that much water but I would still do it without any worries.

The water weighs 12k lbs and the trailer another 2k lbs. Where does the other 6k come from?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2004.5 Dodge 3500 towing capacity questions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.