Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery life cycle counter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Battery life cycle counter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I think as others have said battery life is more that cycles of charging. I think most batteries die from sulfation from insufficient charging, at the other end of the spectrum is plate shedding from over charging which does not get talked about on here often. For this reason I don't keep mine plugged in all the time but recharge in shallow cycles 10-20% but equalize and desulfate several times a year.
Overcharging is certainly a factor.

From many posts it appears to me that over/under charging is mainly a result of inexpensive chargers. Of course they cost less and are great for the salesman to point out what a great battery charger this fantastic rig has...
I am not sure how it works exactly, the lower the voltage the less the chemical reaction and the less plate shedding occurs, having said that any amount of charging produces a chemical reaction and lead is shredded from the plates. If you charge your batteries when they are at 80% SOC 6V GC batteries should be good for 4000 cycles if you charge when they are fully discharged about 700 cycles and at 50% SOC maybe about 1600 cycles. So you can see it is not linear function, the knee of the curve is between 50-60% SOC. I dry camp 90% of the time so I can't fully charge until I have an electric site or come home. I guess the real question is which will make the battery last longer shallow charge SOC cycles, an automatic battery float charger, or a constant float charger of 13.2-13.6 v set on a timer. There are a lot of other variables like temperature and the algorithms that these various "smart chargers" use.

Mobilesport

Iowa

Full Member

Joined: 10/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mobilesport wrote:

It would be nice to have something that counts how many times you have cycled your battery to get a ballpark idea of how much life they have left.
Just a thought


My bad , I should've said that it would be nice to have something that counts the amount of amp hours that have been used starting from when the battery was new.

For example
My battery specs
Battleborn
BB10012 Specifications:
Lifetime Capacity: 300,000 Amp-hours

So estimated Lifetime capacity of my battery 300,000 amp-hours.
Let's say if i had I counter and it said I used 100000 amp hours.

I would have a ballpark idea that i'm probably going to get another 200,000 amp hours.

The built in battery management system won't allow overcharging , it won't allow the voltage to get too low , plus with a manual battery charger I shut it down when my soc % reaches around 100% so it doesn't over charge , .
Getting to 100% is extremely fast.
could even add a shutdown timer to the charger if concerned but I haven't needed it.


Big high roof van , 2000 watt Custom on board Honda genset , custom Meanwell 40 amp battery charger , 100 ah Battleborn lifepo4 , kisae battery capacity monitor , Planner 44d diesal heater, 6 gal red Bass pro diesal fuel tank. At&t hot spot router

2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mobilesport wrote:

My bad , I should've said that it would be nice to have something that counts the amount of amp hours that have been used starting from when the battery was new.
Check out the Victron BMV-700.

It's bluetooth to your smartphone. My History page shows the Discharged energy = 1478kwh. That's over a million watt-hours. I'll have to get a precise date of installation before figuring out the daily discharge.

CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I think as others have said battery life is more that cycles of charging. I think most batteries die from sulfation from insufficient charging, at the other end of the spectrum is plate shedding from over charging which does not get talked about on here often. For this reason I don't keep mine plugged in all the time but recharge in shallow cycles 10-20% but equalize and desulfate several times a year.
Overcharging is certainly a factor.

From many posts it appears to me that over/under charging is mainly a result of inexpensive chargers. Of course they cost less and are great for the salesman to point out what a great battery charger this fantastic rig has...
I am not sure how it works exactly, the lower the voltage the less the chemical reaction and the less plate shedding occurs, having said that any amount of charging produces a chemical reaction and lead is shredded from the plates. If you charge your batteries when they are at 80% SOC 6V GC batteries should be good for 4000 cycles if you charge when they are fully discharged about 700 cycles and at 50% SOC maybe about 1600 cycles. So you can see it is not linear function, the knee of the curve is between 50-60% SOC. I dry camp 90% of the time so I can't fully charge until I have an electric site or come home. I guess the real question is which will make the battery last longer shallow charge SOC cycles, an automatic battery float charger, or a constant float charger of 13.2-13.6 v set on a timer. There are a lot of other variables like temperature and the algorithms that these various "smart chargers" use.
Everything I've read indicates that the lower and longer a flooded/AGM battery is discharged the shorter the life which seems to match your experience.

My Magnum ME2012 is a 5 stage charger that has excellent charging algorithms. Somehow it maintains the battery voltage and amps when charging regardless of house loads. This assumes that the draw is less than it's 100A rating. I don't know how it accomplishes this since it has no battery information except temperature. It should have a battery voltage probe but then Monaco didn't use Magnum's installation guidelines.

When the battery is fully charged and house loads are small for several hours then stage 4 occurs and charging is on standby and remains there until until charging is needed.

AFAIC The charging algrorithms are excellent.


2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob


Mobilesport

Iowa

Full Member

Joined: 10/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Mobilesport wrote:

My bad , I should've said that it would be nice to have something that counts the amount of amp hours that have been used starting from when the battery was new.
Check out the Victron BMV-700.

It's bluetooth to your smartphone. My History page shows the Discharged energy = 1478kwh. That's over a million watt-hours. I'll have to get a precise date of installation before figuring out the daily discharge.


Yeah , I've had my eye on them Victons , i didn't want to pay $200 for the Victron and so I bought a Kisae capacity monitor instead for $40 , The Kisae works good for me , I'm not really into the smart phone or Bluetooth portions of the Victron but I really like how your Victron shows you the history of discharged energy , nice , really nice.
Can you pull up that history info right on the Victron monitor or can the info only be seen on a smart phone/computer?

2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't find that history on the monitor.

Mobilesport

Iowa

Full Member

Joined: 10/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I didn't find that history on the monitor.


Almost everybody has a smart phone and it ain't that hard to download a Victron app and so it aint that big of a deal especially considering what a good feature it is to be able to see your energy discharge history.

grizzzman

salt lake city, Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 12/07/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, the Bogart system does.


2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH
400 Watt and 2000 Watt Inverter's hard wired.
Boondocking is my Deal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Battery life cycle counter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.