cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggest a wind generator

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
We like to do off grid camping, haven't done any in a while since we had our son, but he is 4 now so we want to get back into it now that he is getting older. We did have a small pop up and I have a 100 watt solar panel, with that and a group 27 deep cycle battery we never had any problems camping for a week at a time, even running the furnace at night in colder weather (30-40s at night, using the furnace sparingly).

We now have a 17 Ft. travel trailer so I imagine our electrical demands will be higher. Was thinking of getting another panel, but obviously they only make electricity when the sun is up, and don't produce as much on cloudy days. Was wondering if a wind generator in combination with the 100 watt solar panel would be a good combination, and this could potentially generate some electricity at night if there is wind.

Looking for some suggestions, I don't need something that generates a lot, like I said we have never ran the battery down with one 100 watt panel before, we can get by pretty sparingly, camper has all LED lights etc.

Also is there a charging controller that you can hook both a solar panel and wind generator up to at the same time?

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Wind generators are often used on live-aboard sailboats. I believe that West Marine sells them and you might get more practical info at Westmarine.com.
Advanced RV Sprinter

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Seems like a cool idea to be more self sufficient with power, and the price of entry is low.

Price them up...price of entry is far from low.

Very few cruising sailboats have them anymore with most being old installations.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Well thanks for the good input everyone, I didn't realize they would be noisy and wouldn't generate anything unless the wind was really blowing.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would the fan make more power when going down the road be more than power it takes to move it thru the air? Why not use a generator rubbing on the tire like the old bicycle system?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seems like a cool idea to be more self sufficient with power, and the price of entry is low.
Like others though, I question the practicality of it. Unless you're differnet than most, people generally (us included) try to get out of the wind when camping.
Didn't think about mounting on the camper roof. Would definitely work going down the highway, not sure how the cheap ones would handle 60-100mph winds though. (Think, doing 55-70mph into a headwind = 100mph pretty easy on the right day.)

Interested to hear what you come up with and how well it works though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I played with one of those small round units that had several blade around it much like one of those roof mounted heat turbines on houses. This would spin up and turn a shaft going down inside the RV unit. Then a alternator like device would charge your batteries like the automotive type chargers do... It worked to some intent but only reall would work going down the road at 60mph haha... This was when I was living in Texas that alwys had at least a 5MPH wind blowing. If one lived on the coast or near the mountains it might work just sitting there...

Solar Panels are the best way to go for sure...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I could see a wind generator working in an open field, but in a forested campground with trees it probably won't spin fast enough even if there is high winds due to the trees blocking it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I did some light research a few years ago & found these. Not sure if they are any good or still around. I never got one, I just use a 120 watt portable solar panel.

https://www.amazon.com/review/RM4KWVPU0LNMA?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B0076FXB8K&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdPage=&linkCode=&newContentID=MxKKDNM9OE5N7Y&newContentNum=1&nodeID=&ref_=cm_cr_pr_cmt&tag=#CustomerDiscussionsNRPB

https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-44444-12-Volt-400-Watt-Generator/dp/B000C1Z2VE#productDetails

http://velacreations.com/howto/chispito/

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
Beware of false replies. Turbines are proven technology just like solar panels. Both have their +/-
Personal I like solar over turbines but they don't work in the shade.

Wind generators are really dying out (not talking about the giant commercial units).

They are noisy, have limited wind ranges where they produce (too slow they produce next to nothing...too fast and you have to shut them down).

As someone else suggested, add solar until you run out of space...then you can consider other alternatives.

If you've set it up correctly, an occasional cloudy day won't be a big issue with a properly set up solar.

PS: had solar and wind on our boat but the wind generator needed a repair...10yr on when we sold the boat, we handed the box of wind generator parts to the new owner...never needed it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if one of these could be used on RV

https://www.windside.com/

Features include:

2-5 m/s cut-in wind speed
Up to 60 m/s max wind speed
50+ year lifespan
5-yr maintenance-free (optional)
Soundless Operation
No vibration
Graceful rotation

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would fill your roof with solar before going into wind power. Aim for 300 to 500 watts.
I went with a small propane generator (Ryobi 700w) for charging the battery if conditions get extreme.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Beware of false replies. Turbines are proven technology just like solar panels. Both have their +/-
Personal I like solar over turbines but they don't work in the shade.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Before you spring for a 92 AH group 27 battery, which I'm seeing for $300+ from Interstate, consider this 125 AH AGM for $289: https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-SLR125-Solar-Emergency-VMAX/dp/B004DR3IIC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=vmax+tanks&qid=1560295430&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=vehicledwelling-20&linkId=26a2244ebe8ea426f3f51fa2ff34c4b5&language=en_US

Being designed for solar applications, it is a true deep cycle battery, unlike most batteries billed as deep cycle, which are really just thinly disguised starting batteries. The clue here is when they list CCA among the specs. Cold cranking amps are not an important data point for deep cycle batteries.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want a wind turbine. In order for most of them to make their rated power they need a wind of about 28 mph. That's pretty stiff around here anyway. They also need to be mounted at least 30 feet above anything within 500 feet. Even if you're in wide open spaces putting up a 30 foot mast and guying it off would be a lot of work. Then there's the noise and vibration a spinning turbine generates.
Could you put a little one on a tiny mast and have it make a little bit of power in a light breeze? Maybe, but why? Just get another solar panel.