Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Commercial macerator or homemade from garbage disposer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Commercial macerator or homemade from garbage disposer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How a garbage disposal works

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it can do that to an Apple, the average turd has not a chance unless maybe if you had way to much swiss cheese, then all bets are off.

doughere

Mooresville NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a used garbage disposal at the local "Habitat" store for $10 added about $20-30 dollars of parts have used it for years. Will pump 100 feet with about 3 ft rise (that's the most I've used).

Works perfectly.

Regards,
Doug

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. That makes five now.

I think at this point, it is incumbent on the naysayers to prove their claim that a garbage disposal cannot be used to pump sewage uphill. I’ve never used one like that, but I’ve replaced several, and played with a few enough to know that the water doesn’t just “fall” out of the disposer thanks to gravity. It’s under pressure.

Otherwise, I trust that said naysayers humility will at least allow an admission that their claims should be afforded the same credentials as they afford other interweb based claims; they don’t mean squat. Possibly even less than that.

Diddly squat.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Thanks. That makes five now.

I think at this point, it is incumbent on the naysayers to prove their claim that a garbage disposal cannot be used to pump sewage uphill. I’ve never used one like that, but I’ve replaced several, and played with a few enough to know that the water doesn’t just “fall” out of the disposer thanks to gravity. It’s under pressure.

Otherwise, I trust that said naysayers humility will at least allow an admission that their claims should be afforded the same credentials as they afford other interweb based claims; they don’t mean squat. Possibly even less than that.

Diddly squat.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Diddly squat, and whoopdeedoo.

Perhaps you can explain why by IPC, when your drain exits a wall the invert needs to be below the weir elevation of the trap exiting a disposer? Typical forum nonsense, and you have more BS than a cow pasture.

Done with this mental masturbation, happy new year

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the people that say it won't work have never seen one in action. i and others at my seasonal site have been using home made garbage disposal macerators for 5 years and they work very well.
i have 75' of 3/4" garden hose to the dump station and i dump weakly during the 7 months of the year i live there.
there are utube videos of people using and making them and one guy on utube is making and selling kits on ebay to convert garbage disposals if they did not work why would he waste his time making kits to sell? and would not every one he has sold to send negative feedback about them.
my homemade one works great and makes it a quick job dumping my tanks.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I think at this point, it is incumbent on the naysayers to prove their claim that a garbage disposal cannot be used to pump sewage uphill.
Do what you will. Even knowing a disposer would work perfectly OK I would still get the macerator designed for the purpose.
I am not naysaying anything, just not my style.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all the input. After reading all the posts it, as usual, comes down to who is speaking from logic and experience and who is just speaking. I may try making one on-the-cheap with a used disposer and see if it works. I'm in no rush and if it doesn't work well I won't have too much invested.

I guess I'm just a born tinkerer and this kind of non-traditional project that is up my alley. If for some reason I don't like it I'll go with an over-the-counter, traditional model. As said, I don't want to have to wire the 12 vdc from the opposite side of the coach when I have a 120 vac GFCI outlet next to the wet bay.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem. I enjoy fabricating things myself, and I respect the skills of others who do.

I actually used to have a 12v Flowjet macerator, and it worked fine for 3-4 years. It eventually quit though, and I thought the price was too high to consider replacing it. You do have to keep them clean, and since your going to be pumping shower water through them, they will get hair in them that will have to be cleaned out. They have to be taken apart to clean them.

I will warn you though, if you end up using the 12v macerator, you need to get the full cooperation of any females in your group. Their products will kill a poop grinder pretty quick. I doubt a garbage disposer would like them either.

Tinker on, buddy. Show us what you build!

[emoticon][emoticon]

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You do have to keep them clean, and since your going to be pumping shower water through them, they will get hair in them that will have to be cleaned out.

Unfortunately, I don't have much hair left to shed. My wife sheds very little and only washes her hair every few days. Hair is not the problem it once was. I'll address that issue as I come to it.

NRSLIFR wrote:

you need to get the full cooperation of any females in your group. Their products will kill a poop grinder pretty quick. I doubt a garbage disposer would like them either.

She has already learned that lesson, living on a septic tank system. Everything that says "Septic Tank Safe" is probably lying.

* This post was edited 01/03/20 06:16pm by mikestock *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Commercial macerator or homemade from garbage disposer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.