Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weights. Am I missing something?

Bachus
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All;

We are looking to purchase a truck camper after many years of having a fifth wheel. Enjoyed the FW, but want something that is smaller and more versatile where we can get into some of the great State and Provincial Parks. Here's the dilemma:
Truck- 2011 RAM 3500 SLT SRW, 6.7 CTD, 4WD, short box
GVWR 10100 lbs
CCC (as per door sticker) 2846 lbs
RAWR 6200 lbs
FAWR 5500 lbs
Centre of gravity 28 to 44 inches (based on RAM body builder guide)

Based on those numbers, I can only carry a very small (ie 1/2" ton) TC. That seems ridiculous given that the truck is such a beast. I like the Northern Lite 8-11SXE wet and the Lance 855S and 850, but fear they will exceed what the numbers say. And the Arctic Fox 811 looks goods until you factor in the "mandatory" option package that adds 595 lbs.

Will adding Timbrens get me where I need to be? Or is my one ton truck really only suitable for a 1/2 ton TC? Seems odd to me.

Any help from the wise is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean
Dean and Tracy Bachellier
2017 Montana High Country 293RK
HiJacker 16K double pivot slider
2011 RAM 3500 SRW Crew Cab 4X4 CTD
"It's five o'clock somewhere...."
46 REPLIES 46

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
... I will NEVER be required to stop at a weigh station, cause I'm not a commercial vehicle....period.

Are you sure?
Traveling in different states I often see signs before Weigh Station
"all vehicle over XXXX lb have to go to scales"
In other states they use light system to direct specific vehicles and last August my camper was flag onto scales in Washington. (I just drove thru having green light).
So in some jurisdiction non-commercial registration is not going to help you if you weight enough.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
My truck has always been tagged as "non-commercial" in CA and now in OR. As far as getting stopped for having stuff in the bed that's an old wife's tale. It's no different than loading stuff in a station wagon of a van. As long as you're not making money hauling stuff they can't fine you.

It is a subject that was ignored for generations and only in last 10 or so years become "revenue source" for cash-starving California government.
My 1999 F450 flatbed was registered for its "curb weight" of 8000 lb till about 2008 when I got pulled over and got "fix it ticket" who cost me $600 for new weight stickers alone.
Bare in mind all pickups in CA are subject to drive via commercial scales (wagons and passenger vans are not). Some scales have "no pickup" signs what rules F150 and similar out, but all pickups were historically driving by -to never be disturb.
Yet in last years I heard about several "scale chase" happening.
Again, cash starving state is using old laws to generate new income.
Do you feel lucky?

Bring it on! None of my duallies have been tagged commercial over the last 30 years, that's why I buy trucks with a rear seat...cause they are "personal vehicles". I doubt that your 450 had a rear seat and with a flatbed you were just asking to be called on it. I will NEVER be required to stop at a weigh station, cause I'm not a commercial vehicle....period.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, they suck gross polluters out of the state 😉
I've frequent Nevada for last 30 years and historically it used to be state who never disturbed visitors on the road.
But in last years the 40 miles 6-lane freeway between state line and LV is stuffed with cops and occasional radar traps. The check station entering LV was mostly closed in the past. Now is mostly open. Add annual smog checks in NV v/s biannual in CA. Go figure.
UT is low-population state, so those things might get delayed, but sooner or later you will see them coming.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
So what you're saying is, California sucks........

I already knew that and avoid it like the plague.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
My truck has always been tagged as "non-commercial" in CA and now in OR. As far as getting stopped for having stuff in the bed that's an old wife's tale. It's no different than loading stuff in a station wagon of a van. As long as you're not making money hauling stuff they can't fine you.

It is a subject that was ignored for generations and only in last 10 or so years become "revenue source" for cash-starving California government.
My 1999 F450 flatbed was registered for its "curb weight" of 8000 lb till about 2008 when I got pulled over and got "fix it ticket" who cost me $600 for new weight stickers alone.
Bare in mind all pickups in CA are subject to drive via commercial scales (wagons and passenger vans are not). Some scales have "no pickup" signs what rules F150 and similar out, but all pickups were historically driving by -to never be disturb.
Yet in last years I heard about several "scale chase" happening.
Again, cash starving state is using old laws to generate new income.
Do you feel lucky?

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I remember back when pickups had stickers on them showing what the registered GVW was. My dad's '72 Ford Ranchero had a "U6000" sticker on it. I remember seeing U9000 and U12,000 stickers on pickups too.

Today there is no GVW rating or numbers on my registration. Only the numbers on the door jamb sticker.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:

I have been told and it seems common sense that a removable truck camper is not permanent.

You better make it permanent, or you will face high penalty when you register your pickup as non-commercial in some states and be pulled over with load of concrete and wheelbarrow on the bed.
The laws vary a lot between the states and when I could register my combo as non-commercial in CA, (they have the classification name that I could never memorize) in NV I am paying $800 registration as they have only single classification for pickups.
Than in NV you can turn the plates in (for off-season) and they will credit you the fees. That is not happening in CA.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
srschang wrote:
From the New York state DMV website:

Can I register my pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle?
Yes. Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements, and
the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes

If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)

NOTE: These modifications must be permanent. If you use the pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the commercial registration class.

I have been told and it seems common sense that a removable truck camper is not permanent.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
From the New York state DMV website:

Can I register my pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle?
Yes. Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements, and
the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes

If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)

NOTE: These modifications must be permanent. If you use the pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the commercial registration class.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Jim K-NY; "Since the TC is removable I could not register as an RV". I've had two different truck/TC combo's w/ F 350's SW 6.7l LB, since 08' registered as passenger vehicle in NY. I'm on the road now so I can't tell you which form # I get at DMV that allows you to do this. At times the clerks , and stupidvisors have argued w/ me over this. But believe me it is legal to do so in NY. Just don't take their blanket "NO" it can't be done for an answer.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 12' camper 2200 miles from home, having F250 at the time. Drove the distance having 300lb overload on each r. tire (I bought new for the trip) and did couple camping trips with F250 when I removed rear generator, moved batteries up front and few other weight distributing mods.
When truck drove just fine, I constantly had a vision of driving high COG set on narrow road, with deep ditches on the sides and having blow up.
Took me less than a month to buy dually.
Life is too short to spend it this way.

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
My 2020 Adventurer 89RBS is about 350 lbs wet over my 2012 F350 SRW 11500 GVW Rating carry capacity. So...... I added Air Bags, Roadmaster Swaybar, 4500# rated Method Wheels 18” paired up with 4080 # 10 ply Rated tires. Two different Adventurer Dealers plus a Adventurer Factory Sales Rep told me with those upgrades that F350 SRW can handle that load. I’m comfortable with how the F350 handles the load especially with ditching that small OEM Swaybar. Some will say I need a DRW with the 4500 or higher Carry Capacity, I think not....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:
That all makes sense.

A close friend was the Lance Dist here in Utah for many many years, I trust him more than anyone else.

He sat in many meetings where Ford and Lance engineers discussed truck "real world" capabilities. There's a larger safety margin built into trucks and tires than people realize.

I am over weight a tad and he told me not to worry about it.

If I was over weight enough for it to cause problems or be a safety issue he would be the first one to tell me so.

I bought my current camper back in July. I did the walk thru with him on the phone. He knew exactly what I was buying and the truck I was going to carry it with. He reassured me I was OK.

Eggzactly.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold