Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Weights. Am I missing something?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Weights. Am I missing something?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/19/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck has always been tagged as "non-commercial" in CA and now in OR. As far as getting stopped for having stuff in the bed that's an old wife's tale. It's no different than loading stuff in a station wagon of a van. As long as you're not making money hauling stuff they can't fine you.


Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP


specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 01/19/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember back when pickups had stickers on them showing what the registered GVW was. My dad's '72 Ford Ranchero had a "U6000" sticker on it. I remember seeing U9000 and U12,000 stickers on pickups too.

Today there is no GVW rating or numbers on my registration. Only the numbers on the door jamb sticker.


Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded


Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/20 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

My truck has always been tagged as "non-commercial" in CA and now in OR. As far as getting stopped for having stuff in the bed that's an old wife's tale. It's no different than loading stuff in a station wagon of a van. As long as you're not making money hauling stuff they can't fine you.


It is a subject that was ignored for generations and only in last 10 or so years become "revenue source" for cash-starving California government.
My 1999 F450 flatbed was registered for its "curb weight" of 8000 lb till about 2008 when I got pulled over and got "fix it ticket" who cost me $600 for new weight stickers alone.
Bare in mind all pickups in CA are subject to drive via commercial scales (wagons and passenger vans are not). Some scales have "no pickup" signs what rules F150 and similar out, but all pickups were historically driving by -to never be disturb.
Yet in last years I heard about several "scale chase" happening.
Again, cash starving state is using old laws to generate new income.
Do you feel lucky?

* This post was edited 01/19/20 07:34pm by Kayteg1 *





specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 01/19/20 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what you're saying is, California sucks........

I already knew that and avoid it like the plague.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, they suck gross polluters out of the state [emoticon]
I've frequent Nevada for last 30 years and historically it used to be state who never disturbed visitors on the road.
But in last years the 40 miles 6-lane freeway between state line and LV is stuffed with cops and occasional radar traps. The check station entering LV was mostly closed in the past. Now is mostly open. Add annual smog checks in NV v/s biannual in CA. Go figure.
UT is low-population state, so those things might get delayed, but sooner or later you will see them coming.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/21/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

My truck has always been tagged as "non-commercial" in CA and now in OR. As far as getting stopped for having stuff in the bed that's an old wife's tale. It's no different than loading stuff in a station wagon of a van. As long as you're not making money hauling stuff they can't fine you.


It is a subject that was ignored for generations and only in last 10 or so years become "revenue source" for cash-starving California government.
My 1999 F450 flatbed was registered for its "curb weight" of 8000 lb till about 2008 when I got pulled over and got "fix it ticket" who cost me $600 for new weight stickers alone.
Bare in mind all pickups in CA are subject to drive via commercial scales (wagons and passenger vans are not). Some scales have "no pickup" signs what rules F150 and similar out, but all pickups were historically driving by -to never be disturb.
Yet in last years I heard about several "scale chase" happening.
Again, cash starving state is using old laws to generate new income.
Do you feel lucky?


Bring it on! None of my duallies have been tagged commercial over the last 30 years, that's why I buy trucks with a rear seat...cause they are "personal vehicles". I doubt that your 450 had a rear seat and with a flatbed you were just asking to be called on it. I will NEVER be required to stop at a weigh station, cause I'm not a commercial vehicle....period.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/21/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

... I will NEVER be required to stop at a weigh station, cause I'm not a commercial vehicle....period.


Are you sure?
Traveling in different states I often see signs before Weigh Station
"all vehicle over XXXX lb have to go to scales"
In other states they use light system to direct specific vehicles and last August my camper was flag onto scales in Washington. (I just drove thru having green light).
So in some jurisdiction non-commercial registration is not going to help you if you weight enough.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Weights. Am I missing something?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.