cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad inverter, rewire new one?

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so it appears my inverter with bypass died. It has a hard wired 120v output and a standard 120v input that has a standard 3 prong plug (in addition to the 12v input). The plug has an outlet nearby that it is plugged into. When the RV is plugged into shore power the inverter is bypassed and the 120v is just a pass through.

So I am going to replace the inverter and thought I would wire a 3 prong female to the inverter and a male to the wire going to the outlet in the coach (powering the fridge). I would plug these together under normal operation. If the inverter dies in the future I could simply plug the male plug I added and plug into the outlet the inverter is now plugged into. I realize I would no longer have inverter capabilities but would maintain power to the fridge while on shore power.

My question is to the electrical experts, is there a problem with replacing the hardwired output with the plug/outlet as explained above?

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the valuable information and options

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only issues I see are two fold
1: Often an inverter needs more than 15 amps on the input due to also charging batteries.. Make sure the INLET plug/socket is rated at least if not more than the breaker feeding the inverter.. IE 30 amps.. I'd use the same size (or carry and adapter) for the outlet just in case you need to "Manually" bypass the inverter.

Second.. Is the problem that is MOST LIKELY to cause my CONVERTER to fail

I will describe it graphically
Socket-plug This works

Socket - - - - - Plug This does not work

Yup the plug comes out of the socket Use of TWIST LOCK helps prevent this.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NicodemusY
Explorer
Explorer
In order to buy the โ€œrightโ€ inverter for your RV, you'll need to determine the size of the inverter. To decide what size you need, total the wattage requirements of all the equipment you want to power, and then add another 20%. Next you'll need to decide if you need a pure sine or modified sine inverter

MrWizard
Too the OP
Yes you can do what you are proposing,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without getting into the technical debate I'll say that I have done exactly what you are proposing for exactly the same reason.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.bestconverter.com/1000-Watt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-Hard-Wire-w-Transfer-Switch-WF-5110R_p_177...

We all have a hate-on for WFCO converters, and here your WFCO inverter died. Anyway, that is expensive (and a little weird)

Check this out for doing the job at a much lower price and get a transfer switch as suggested.

https://powermaxconverters.com/product-category/inverters-dc-ac/

A couple of us here have the 2000w one of those PMX jobs and they are working well. They also make a transfer switch for 30 or 50.

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pmts/
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Flute Man wrote:
The prongs on a male plug should never be โ€œHotโ€.
Very dangerous. I know some people do it but it is not right.

Totally agree, but from re-reading his post, he is not doing this. The male part would be the RECEIVER of power (to outlets), not PROVIDER of power (from inverter).

Thanks for the clarification.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:

Totally agree, but from re-reading his post, he is not doing this. The male part would be the RECEIVER of power (to outlets), not PROVIDER of power (from inverter).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer

Are you really, really sure the inverter is bad?
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If all that is wrong with the existing inverter is the internal transfer switch, for under $75, you can get a separate 30 amp ATS. Easy to wire up:

From main 120 breaker panel to ATS IN (favored input)
From inverter OUT to ATS IN
ATS OUT to circuits currently wired to inverter OUT

BTW, there are some high end DP's that are wired this way from the factory (with the second ATS).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
This is just an inverter. Model wfco wf-5110. For ease of replacement thinking of using same. No separate transfer switch needed to install. I like the current setup since no need to do anything when going from traveling to shore power as it automatically switches over.

The reason I am proposing the plug is if in the future it breaks again it is a simple plug change behind the inverter and fridge is back in business. I currently have no access to the plug behind the fridge without removing the fridge

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of the manual plug scheme consider a separate transfer switch and a stand alone inverter.

If you have an inverter/charger you would need to get a separate converter to supply 12 volts and charge the battery.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
What exact model of inverter just died, and what exact model are you replacing it with? Also is this really an inverter/charger?

Confusing 120v paths. Why can't you just plug the fridge into an outlet that works on shore power and use an inverter to run the outlet (and any other 120v things) when off- grid by plugging your shore power into the inverter and turning the converter off?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.