Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
15 REPLIES 15

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
"Mahindra has quite a history of building Jeep-like vehicles, with their very first offering being the forefather of the current Thar (on which the Roxor is based); that first car was essentially a Willys CJ-2A Jeep shipped to India as a knock-down kit and assembled under license back in the late 1940s. Itโ€™s these โ€œgrandfatheredโ€ licenses that allow the company to build such Jeep-like vehicles."

Thanks for the interesting info.

So they licensed this all over the world.

Mitsubishi had Willy's running in Asia.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
"Mahindra has quite a history of building Jeep-like vehicles, with their very first offering being the forefather of the current Thar (on which the Roxor is based); that first car was essentially a Willys CJ-2A Jeep shipped to India as a knock-down kit and assembled under license back in the late 1940s. Itโ€™s these โ€œgrandfatheredโ€ licenses that allow the company to build such Jeep-like vehicles."
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Probably want to be careful loading it in a toy hauler. Those things are HEAVY! I think I saw where they were over 3000lbs!!

Bedlam
It was the front grill that had to be the changed, not the hood. Look at the slats on the Mahindra verses the Jeep (that was the result of the suit).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
It is the overall length of a CJ7 but 1/2 a foot narrower and 1/2 a foot taller and 1/2 a foot longer wheelbase.

Their first version, where they were sued, has a hood like that of CJ5/7.

Bedlam
It is the overall length of a CJ7 but 1/2 a foot narrower and 1/2 a foot taller and 1/2 a foot longer wheelbase.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor bought one. It's cute but at 17K not that cute. It has a diesel motor in it. Looks like our old jeep but a tab bit smaller.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you canโ€™t beat them...copy them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's just another off road toy that'll roll right in the back of a toy hauler or a small tow vehicle for your RV.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Looks like another cause for Jeep to sue for copyright infringement.

I wonder also the reliability with a company that traditionally do agri equipment -- and India?

Copyright Infringement? Its a vehicle, not a picture in a newspaper and they are not calling it a Jeep LOL.

I think a patent would of expired long ago, before AMC ever made a Jeep let alone FCA, if there ever was a patent to begin with. What about Bantam, Willy's, Ford, Kaiser? I think even Toyota and Mitzuhokey even had their hands in it at one time overseas.

Reliability probably will be better than FCA if it has Mahindra DNA. It's built in Detroit? You probably should get one of these, get your deposit back on the Tesla Imagitruck and use it as a downpayment LOL. But heck, it's not street legal so there goes that idea.

They've already been sued, hence, the change to make it look like Willy's this time.

Willy's, etc. were licensed, if I recall correctly, exactly so our troops can get their vehicles as soon as possible.

Would prefer a Polaris than this or built one from a Willy's kit.

Bedlam
Mahindra could not bring in an inexpensive pickup that was road legal in the US, so they they stripped their THAR of road lighting and are selling the ROXOR. Mahindra changed the grill for the US market due to FCA's worry of watering down their Jeep branding with similar styling.

If I had an old CJ sitting around with a title, I could see moving some parts over to the Mahrindra and taking on the life of the CJ past with better road manners and safety than the old CJ.

The ROXOR engine is speed governed and can be bypassed with a tuner or by running tall tires. I'm not sure if the speed sensing is happening at the hubs, axle, transmission or engine, so changing axle gears may not be the answer.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
They already sued for trademark infringement and the new ones look different. Also, this article is from last year.

Not by much, the design of the grill. Attorneys made a lot on that deal and it won't change anything in the big picture one bit.

If I still lived near the beach I would buy one in a minute. It would make a great surf fishing buggy.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
They already sued for trademark infringement and the new ones look different. Also, this article is from last year.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Looks like another cause for Jeep to sue for copyright infringement.

I wonder also the reliability with a company that traditionally do agri equipment -- and India?

Copyright Infringement? Its a vehicle, not a picture in a newspaper and they are not calling it a Jeep LOL.

I think a patent would of expired long ago, before AMC ever made a Jeep let alone FCA, if there ever was a patent to begin with. What about Bantam, Willy's, Ford, Kaiser? I think even Toyota and Mitzuhokey even had their hands in it at one time overseas.

Reliability probably will be better than FCA if it has Mahindra DNA. It's built in Detroit? You probably should get one of these, get your deposit back on the Tesla Imagitruck and use it as a downpayment LOL. But heck, it's not street legal so there goes that idea.