cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Thor Avanti Diesel

Explorer II
Explorer II
Any comments, good or bad on this 2012 Thor Avanti 2806?. Will this Cummins engine be any louder on the road than a Sprinter V6?

DW and I really like this one. The Avanti interior seems to be a step up from the ACE and I like the idea of a small diesel platform. Plus it should easily tow my Jeep.

Thanks
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
6 REPLIES 6

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The Avanti was a front engine diesel (FRED). Looks pretty nice though. The biggest complaint with a FRED was the engine noise. The thought was, if you are going to get a diesel, get a standard platform like a DP. A few companies made them, they don't anymore. But it was more about demand than performance. I think the MPG ratings are better. You may want to drive it before you rule it out.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not a pusher, PPL misrepresented that.

The single AC is a concern with black exterior here in Texas.

Thanks for the Thor forum link. I'll read up over there.

Thanks for the feedback
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I forgot you should visit the folks at the Thor Forum.

www.thorforums.com
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Looking at all the pictures from you and other places, its not a diesel pusher. The engine is in the front so you may get more noise, would have to drive to see.

I downsized from a 35ft 5th wheel to a 29.3 ACE. After two years in the ACE we decided that we downsized to much. I had no real complaints about the ACE the V10 work far better than I thought. The interior quality of the ACE was not there but then I knew that going into.

You may want to rethink the only one AC and 30amp. My ACE had only one 15000 and it work hard to keep the unit cool. With 30 amp its hard to add another AC.

Good Luck and enjoy
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I also am not familiar with this model, but don’t think it is a diesel pusher. May be a diesel but sure looks like the engine is in the front.. could be a front engine diesel which would make considerably more engine noise than a pusher and probably more noise than a gas engine
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
not at all familiar with this model. Description says diesel pusher, but I see a front dog house in the pictures. May be top side chassis access??