cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning on pulling Cottonwood Pass Colorado

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a September 2020 trip around Colorado and looking for insight on towing our TT west to east over Cottonwood Pass between Taylor Park Reservoir and Buena Vista. Fairly experienced mountain travelers with a good rig - F150 Ecoboost and 6500lb 25 ft TT. Any tips from those who have traveled this pass is appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
piece of cake
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mordecai81 wrote:
Great vid, thanks! My wife is not gonna be pumped about the no guardrails!

Video is from 2016 it was paved in 2018-19 - https://www.outtherecolorado.com/cottonwood-pass-reopens-after-long-term-construction/ - used to be a washboard Gravel Road that would remove most if not all of your Fillings:)

While it is a good way to get to Crested Butte now, IMHO the best drives are still on the gravel roads that wander through the Collegiates - Just Beautiful!

Enjoy Colorado,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
Great vid, thanks! My wife is not gonna be pumped about the no guardrails!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvcEWJ8FNU

Here ya go
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
mordecai81 wrote:
Thanks. Paved is good! Looks like beautiful country on the satellite view. We may be boondocking north of the reservoir mid September. Will it be crowded with elk bow hunters?

Bow hunting season is for almost all of September, muzzle loading is for 9 days about in the middle.

Thanks. My wife and I fish and I never worry about bow hunters, but I try to be scarce during firearms seasons.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Thunder Mtn.
Driving in CO is not for the faint of heart.
Most people have to get used to it.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
mordecai81 wrote:
Thanks. Paved is good! Looks like beautiful country on the satellite view. We may be boondocking north of the reservoir mid September. Will it be crowded with elk bow hunters?

Bow hunting season is for almost all of September, muzzle loading is for 9 days about in the middle.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Cottonwood Pass is a terrific drive!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Mid September may get snow there and if so, may close Cottonwood pass. Monarch pass will be open.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
While it will snow in Colorado in the spring, Colorado DOT knows snow and how to handle it. No matter the route, you may have to wait a day or two for them to clear the roads. US160 is a truck route and they keep it clear.

Cottonwood is on the Closure list and will usually be open late.

RT 160 is a little South of here and as a major Highway will be cleared and Open - not so much for Cottonwood Pass.

Use the CDOT webcams to see for sure as you travel the Roads of Colorado.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
While it will snow in Colorado in the spring, Colorado DOT knows snow and how to handle it. No matter the route, you may have to wait a day or two for them to clear the roads. US160 is a truck route and they keep it clear.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Taylor Park is so beautiful, you may never want to leave!

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Should not be a problem if your rig is up to it. It is now paved on both sides. The recently paved West slope is as smoothe as glass. A few sharp curves so keep it under control.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition