Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Oil headed for 70 bucks s barrel. Here we go.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oil headed for 70 bucks s barrel. Here we go.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Lets look at energy production over 70 years and see how "green" is doing.

As you can see, fossil fuel hasn't dropped much at all. In fact more and more and more of all types of energy is used but fossil fuel stays around 90%.

Now the type of fossil fuel has changed somewhat. Take for instance coal. It got "legislated out" and it shows. Even though the new admin is ok with coal it's hard to come back because you have sold off all your equipment and shuttered your sites.

NG, another fossil fuel, took over where coal dropped off so the fossil fuel % remains around the same as it was many years ago. NG is also a lot easier to get with WAAAAY less man power.

Talk all you want about solar. It's only 1% of total production and has stayed that way for a long time. Solar takes a lot of land and Tusk knows this. That's why he does not have any solar at the chargers like he said there would be.

[image]

The right term is renewables, not just solar.

The backward South must be pulling the whole country down as the Western states are way ahead in renewables as energy source.

CA is already at 33%, Oregon is 47% and WA at 75%.

CA and WA targets to be 100% renewables by 2045. Nevada is drawing plans to be net solar electricity exporter with it's abundant sunshine.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My large 5er is running on nothing but sunshine right now, and that includes furnace, TV, MW, toaster... anything but air.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure but is that above graph indicative of energy or electricity. If the former it would be interesting to see a graph on electricity generation by source.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL ok, lets talk about renewables.

If you can read the chart I posted you will be able to see that renewables were pretty much stagnant from 1980 till today......and they worn't much less before 1980.

Fossil fuel have been right around 90% from 1950 to now.

The problem with renewables is many. Cost, environmental damage and many more. And yes, there is environmental damage.

I live next to the biggest geothermal electric producer in the world. I have several friends and family that works there. Dealing with the heavy metals and poisons that come out of the ground is daunting. Many, many wells have been abandon and capped off because the steam that comes out of the ground is so corrosive it just eats the equipment up.

Solar is good except for the land it displaces. Land is expensive and so are solar panels.

Hydro electric dams cause many environmental problems and many people want to take built dams down. There will be very few if any dams built in 100 from now. The environmental damage caused by China's new mega dam.

Wind power has all kinds of cost problems and environmental problems.

The bottom line is fossil fuel has supplied around 90% of electric power for decades and will continue to do the same for many decades to come.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

The bottom line is fossil fuel has supplied around 90% of electric power for decades and will continue to do the same for many decades to come.
I find the number is 64%

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I find the number is 64%

Or 19 percent in Canada. Three percent by 2030.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I find the number is 64%

Sorry, I don't see nukes as green power. So if you add nuke and fossil together you get close to 90% where it has been for many years.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I find the number is 64%

Sorry, I don't see nukes as green power. So if you add nuke and fossil together you get close to 90% where it has been for many years.

You seem to have missed the cancer-causing windmills making whomp-whomp-whomp-whomp noises.[emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just electricity related:

[image]

Of course most of the decline in coal has been through retrofitting the burner to use natural gas. Still a reduction in CO2 per kWh.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An area of solar panels of 100 x 100 miles backed up by 1 x 1 miles of batteries could power the entire United States. Long distance DC transmission lines can transport the power. Obviously the solar won’t all have to be in the same place.

The Gemini Solar project is an example of the rapid development taking place. 690 Megawatts with 531 MW / 2125 megawatt-hour (MWh) battery power.

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2019/06/10/w........y-system-planned-for-nevada-solar-plant/

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oil headed for 70 bucks s barrel. Here we go.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.