cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any new options for casting from a mobile device to a TV?

96Bounder30E
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks...

I'm Looking for up to date options for casting from a mobile device to an RV TV WITHOUT a wifi connection....

I've got a 1st gen chromecast that needs a wifi connection so I know that won't work but it's many years old now....

I can use a USB-C to a HDMI cable but I'm wondering about wireless options...

Thank you!
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

15 REPLIES 15

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
This is more of a question rather than an answer...but why can't you just get a cheap router and establish a wifi network? You don't really need internet access.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is wifi as it streams HD. But no router or wifi required. Just iPhone and Appletv.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I use Appletv 4K. Anything I can watch on my iPhone you can mirror to your tv. No adapter required.
Swipe up, touch mirror and your done.

Does it do it via WiFi or Bluetooth?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
My year-old Lenovo ideapad (laptop) will cast directly to a smart TV with that function. Just did it at our son and daughter-in-law's over Thanksgiving.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Appletv 4K. Anything I can watch on my iPhone you can mirror to your tv. No adapter required.
Swipe up, touch mirror and your done.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I used a Apple Lighting-to-HDMI adapter to mirror from my iPhone or IPad before going to Apple TV.
Yes it mirrored everything when connected.

Apple HDMI adapter

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

So far the only thing it won't mirror that I have found is ESPN. Have no problem with Nexflix, Disney+ and Hulu. I will try Amazon Prime and Roku and report back later.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
If you cant use Chromecast use Screenbeam, it's like Chromecast but connects via Wifi direct to the Screenbeam HDMI adapter. This is a direct wifi connection, you are not creating a wifi network.

You select "Smartview" (Miracast) on your phone, after you load the Screenbeam software, and off you go.

Whatever is on the screen of your phone goes directly to your TV screen. I use it for Netflix, YouTube etc. when my Hot Spot data limit gets low.

Ron W
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I used a Apple Lighting-to-HDMI adapter to mirror from my iPhone or IPad before going to Apple TV.

Not quite. Once in while I get a message saying HDMI cannot be streamed.
They do have ways of blocking some programs

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Apple HDMI adapter

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:

I've been using the Apple HDMI adapter for the last 6 weeks, and it's generally worked pretty well.

Would you happen to know if the Apple Lightning-to-HDMI adapter will mirror EVERYTHING to the TV? I have seen some non-Apple adapters that will not mirror things like Hulu and Amazon Prime Video. Before I drop more money on the Apple adapter, I would like to know if it mirrors everything.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well if you want wireless you have two or 3 options Blue Tooth and Wi-Fi. are the wireless ones. #3 is Wired.

Now... If you are good with Linux a Raspberry PI might work Some of them support either BT or a BT dongle (2 3 4 all support dongles as I recall) There are some other options too.

I just spent (by the time it's fully set up about 200 dollars but 150) on a Vio or vivostick Windows 10 "machine" this puppy plugs into the HDMI port on the TV and eats USB power it's a full featured windows 10 running on an Intel Atom. about 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch by 5 inches 32 meg SSD. Tomorrow I'm putting it in full service but it set up and loaded the programs I want.

IT supports both Blue Tooth and Wi-Fi

Not sure how well you can stream to it though.

But if you want to do it wireless you have limited options

I used to know a man who made a micro tv station (Composit in UHF out analog) but well.. That was a long long time ago and I'm not sure they were type accepted.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What make and model of mobile device and TV do you have?

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
MoFi

Do the HDMI connector. I don't know of a phone plan that had unlimited hotspot data, and you will use way more than you think. I've been using the Apple HDMI adapter for the last 6 weeks, and it's generally worked pretty well.

I have seen a MoFi 4500 4G LTE router advertised that is suppose to use the SIM card from a phone, so you're getting the unlimited data plan of a phone run thru a router.m It seems to have good reviews on Amazon.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
The most up-to-date I'm aware of is a smart tv.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman