Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hey Y'all! Have a noob question!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

 > Hey Y'all! Have a noob question!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BoxerDogs wrote:

If it were just me I'd poop in a bucket with a bag in it in the shower stall and pee outside.
Unfortunately the Wife seems to be adverse to that arrangement.
I'd be averse to it too.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BoxerDogs wrote:

Dang it!!
I hate when I get mixed responses!!
I guess I'll play it by ear and see what happens.
I do have a borescope so I can make sure it totally flushes out.


You'll always get that on this forum.

Try saying it's Saturday. And you'll get a debate on that one too.

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

New Member

Joined: 01/03/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

BoxerDogs wrote:

Dang it!!
I hate when I get mixed responses!!
I guess I'll play it by ear and see what happens.
I do have a borescope so I can make sure it totally flushes out.


You'll always get that on this forum.

Try saying it's Saturday. And you'll get a debate on that one too.


I dont mind roughing it a bit. As long as I have A/C, heat,shower and a comfy bed I'm good.
The effort of cleaning the black tank vs tossing a few bags of **** in a sealed bucket is worlds different.
You have to remember that most of our stays are only for the weekend.

starlord

Wichita Falls, Texas

Full Member

Joined: 09/06/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to add another thought. If it's only for weekends as you say, until you plan on longer stays, why don't you just go get a cassette toilet to take with you on those weekends? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about the main toilet at all.

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

New Member

Joined: 01/03/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

starlord wrote:

Just to add another thought. If it's only for weekends as you say, until you plan on longer stays, why don't you just go get a cassette toilet to take with you on those weekends? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about the main toilet at all.


We thought about that but in the end you still have to deal with a container of poop and pee.
You change the bag and put in a new one every time you use the bucket with the seat on it and it can go right in the trash when you get home.

No cleaning and no fuss.

I mean the only real difference is your poop is going into a tank vs a bag.
One requires extensive cleaning and the other requires a trash can.

If we stay for a week or so I'll use the pooper in the RV.
But again...we plan on putting in a redneck septic when my Hip heals up and it wont be a big deal to dump ten gallons of lake water in the tank and pump it out with the macerator.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 11/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/05/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BoxerDogs wrote:


But again...we plan on putting in a redneck septic when my Hip heals up and it wont be a big deal to dump ten gallons of lake water in the tank and pump it out with the macerator.


Could you define "redneck septic" for us, please ??


'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/05/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BoxerDogs wrote:

starlord wrote:

If it were me, I would fill the tank with water and dump it before leaving it for any length of time. The odor pods (or liquid) will not last for longer than a week or so and you also run the risk of the solids in the tank starting to adhere to each other and forming something you'll play heck trying to get out.


Appreciate the info.
That was kinda my thoughts,I'm worried about fouling the tank level sensors as well.
Guess I'll be pumping it out every trip and just add some lake water to the tank to get it up to a good level for draining.
We bought a macerator pump and a blue boy black water tank that can sit in the back of the truck and I can easily empty it into the sewer clean out in the garage when we get home.
It'll be a pain in the butt until we get our redneck septic system installed which I would have already done if it wasnt for the **** hip surgery.
We were looking for an easy out until that day comes.

I think that this is the best plan. A pain perhaps, but maybe a smaller one should anything go wrong with letting it sit.


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

New Member

Joined: 01/03/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam Spade wrote:

BoxerDogs wrote:


But again...we plan on putting in a redneck septic when my Hip heals up and it wont be a big deal to dump ten gallons of lake water in the tank and pump it out with the macerator.


Could you define "redneck septic" for us, please ??


You dig a five foot deep hole and line the bottom with large gravel and place a plastic 40 or 55 gallon drum with holes in it. Then backfill with gravel around the drum and cover the whole thing with dirt. Then you run a drain field line with four inch pipe with holes in it to disperse the liquids.
Of course you need to run a pipe from the threaded holes on the top so you can attach your black water line to it.

My Buddy has been on the lease for eight years and his is still working perfectly.

It works like a standard septic only on a smaller scale.

BoxerDogs

Katy Tx

New Member

Joined: 01/03/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

BoxerDogs wrote:

starlord wrote:

If it were me, I would fill the tank with water and dump it before leaving it for any length of time. The odor pods (or liquid) will not last for longer than a week or so and you also run the risk of the solids in the tank starting to adhere to each other and forming something you'll play heck trying to get out.


Appreciate the info.
That was kinda my thoughts,I'm worried about fouling the tank level sensors as well.
Guess I'll be pumping it out every trip and just add some lake water to the tank to get it up to a good level for draining.
We bought a macerator pump and a blue boy black water tank that can sit in the back of the truck and I can easily empty it into the sewer clean out in the garage when we get home.
It'll be a pain in the butt until we get our redneck septic system installed which I would have already done if it wasnt for the **** hip surgery.
We were looking for an easy out until that day comes.

I think that this is the best plan. A pain perhaps, but maybe a smaller one should anything go wrong with letting it sit.


This will be a temporary solution at any rate so I dont mind it too much.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam Spade wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:


BTW fecal matter is water soluble. It will settle but it will also break down and break up.


Part of it is.....but part of it is NOT.

If you search on here and other similar forums, you will see that doing this wrong can easily result in a congealed mass forming in the tank.......which needs to be avoided at all costs.


I mean, yeah, the corn isn't, but unless you're on a steady diet of sweet corn, the rest pretty much breaks up, lol.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

 > Hey Y'all! Have a noob question!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.