Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Suspension Enhancements for Single Axle Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Suspension Enhancements for Single Axle Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Grodyman

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/04/2006

View Profile



Posted: 01/03/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Passport 153ML, which although a lightweight, is a pretty tall windsail, and sits high on a 5000lb 6 lug axle with traditional leaf springs.

I am toying with the idea of converting it to a torsion axle to smooth the ride and maybe lower a bit. Worth the expense?


I can't seem to find a suspension enhancement product rated for 5000lbs and made for a single axle trailer, all the MorRyde/Equa Flex/etc. are mostly for tandems.

Gman


2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/03/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add shocks - makes a huge difference. I think you will be fine with it after that.
Lowering it a couple of inches isn't going to make a noticeable improvement.


Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Nv Guy

Reno NV

Full Member

Joined: 06/18/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/03/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this:
Dexter 5,500-7,000 torflex axles

What exactly are you trying to "fix" with the torsion axle?
As already suggested, adding shocks goes a long way towards calming things down suspension wise.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

Moderator

Joined: 03/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/03/20 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shocks, drop axel, depending on the actual weight of the trailer, lower psi in tires
Springs can also be designed to be softer. Is go with 5-6 leafs vs 4 with the same overall thickness.
Not sure of tire size. Example, if you have 235-85-16 10 ply tires, go to a 245-75-16 tire. About 1/2" smaller rsdious,, but carry the same wieght per tire. If you're using a 15" rsdious tire, there might be a smaller diam one, or ene a 14" that will carry 2500 or so lbs per.

More than on way to skin said cat issue.

Marty


92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I like the Dexter Torflex axles, I recently dumped the traditional spring setup on my boat trailer and also added disk brakes with hydraulic actuator. WELL worth the upgrade!!!

[image]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GDS-3950BH

DC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Personally I like the Dexter Torflex axles, I recently dumped the traditional spring setup on my boat trailer and also added disk brakes with hydraulic actuator. WELL worth the upgrade!!!

[image]


Nice install!

Having been up close and personal with the frame Keystone uses on the Passport line, I would be skeptical if would handle some shock mounts without a lot of reinforcing. OP doesn't say the year, but prior to 2013 they used a frame made by Dexter, after 2012 Lippert, two different animals there. The Dexter frames were stout, the LCI are recycled soup cans.

The nice thing about Torsions is the tube acts as an additional crossmember adding overall strength. In the case of the Passport if it is a model with the LCI frame, the OP would want to add a tube to the bottom of the frame rail at least 2" X 2" X 4', probably top to bottom flange gussets inside and out at the end of it, and probably the Dexter 2-3/4" lift bracket between that and the Torsion. I would doubt he can not get enough ground clearance without doing if only counting on the start angle.

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Personally I like the Dexter Torflex axles, I recently dumped the traditional spring setup on my boat trailer and also added disk brakes with hydraulic actuator. WELL worth the upgrade!!!

[image]


Nice install!

Having been up close and personal with the frame Keystone uses on the Passport line, I would be skeptical if would handle some shock mounts without a lot of reinforcing. OP doesn't say the year, but prior to 2013 they used a frame made by Dexter, after 2012 Lippert, two different animals there. The Dexter frames were stout, the LCI are recycled soup cans.

The nice thing about Torsions is the tube acts as an additional crossmember adding overall strength. In the case of the Passport if it is a model with the LCI frame, the OP would want to add a tube to the bottom of the frame rail at least 2" X 2" X 4', probably top to bottom flange gussets inside and out at the end of it, and probably the Dexter 2-3/4" lift bracket between that and the Torsion. I would doubt he can not get enough ground clearance without doing if only counting on the start angle.


Haylet RV has a good video walk around and you can see that the spring hangers are welded to a 2"x2" tube spacer already.
I'm not sure the OP can actually lower his TT. Looks like the 2"x2" tube spacer is there for tire clearance.

Grodyman

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/04/2006

View Profile



Posted: 01/04/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Personally I like the Dexter Torflex axles, I recently dumped the traditional spring setup on my boat trailer and also added disk brakes with hydraulic actuator. WELL worth the upgrade!!!

[image]


Nice install!

Having been up close and personal with the frame Keystone uses on the Passport line, I would be skeptical if would handle some shock mounts without a lot of reinforcing. OP doesn't say the year, but prior to 2013 they used a frame made by Dexter, after 2012 Lippert, two different animals there. The Dexter frames were stout, the LCI are recycled soup cans.

The nice thing about Torsions is the tube acts as an additional crossmember adding overall strength. In the case of the Passport if it is a model with the LCI frame, the OP would want to add a tube to the bottom of the frame rail at least 2" X 2" X 4', probably top to bottom flange gussets inside and out at the end of it, and probably the Dexter 2-3/4" lift bracket between that and the Torsion. I would doubt he can not get enough ground clearance without doing if only counting on the start angle.


Haylet RV has a good video walk around and you can see that the spring hangers are welded to a 2"x2" tube spacer already.
I'm not sure the OP can actually lower his TT. Looks like the 2"x2" tube spacer is there for tire clearance.


Does this mean a torsion axle will not work?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Scott and blt2ski said.
Be more specific with your issue, aside from height (wouldn't mess with height by modifying suspension unless you can do a simple spring under axle flip and have the clearance at the wheels to do it.
Smooth the ride? Is it riding to "stiff"? I.E. The springs are actually overkill for the weight (an uncommon TT occurrence) or is the suspension seeing plenty of flex but it's bouncy?
If the springs are suited for the weight then shocks would help.
If the springs are too stiff, then lowering tire pressure (assuming additional tire capacity would help).
Although a simple issue, there are about 3 potential causes of an "unsmooth" ride.

Torsion axle, IMO is not necessarily the answer unless you size it for the actual weight.
I.E., a 5k torsion axle on a 3k trailer will still ride maybe rougher than you're wanting.
My boat trailer is an extreme example, twin torsion axles, rides great with 4000lb + boat on it. Like a rock empty.
My 7klb enclosed trailer twin torsion axles, about 3500lbs empty, rides bad (hard and bouncy) empty. Smooths out once my total weight is about 5klbs or more.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/04/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard that trailers with independent torsion axle tow much smoother and handle bumps much better.
Shocks help with wind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Suspension Enhancements for Single Axle Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.