Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Self Driving 18 wheeler Going 75 MPH
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Self Driving 18 wheeler Going 75 MPH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My take is simple. Multimillion dollar passenger Jets have Auto Pilot and Auto Land. They STILL CRASH from blips in those systems. Even with a Pilot and Co pilot. The problem is simple. Qualified Pilots get LAZY and trust the Auto systems too much. Then add weather problems. While the systems will probably be almost perfect in years to come, it will be just that, YEARS to come. With GAS and DIESEL on the road the problem is it is not safe. I would like to see a Auto system react to when a front tire blows. Doug

PS, I think a funny video would be 75% Auto Cars in rush hour freeway driving[emoticon]

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is guessing it is in autopilot simply because she has one hand on the wheel, but is only guessing. He doesn't like going 75, but is going 75 to stay with it while talking and looking into his camera to do his video, even raising both hands off the wheel at one point. He apparently speeds up to pull up beside the truck which implies he has increased his speed beyond 75. Not sure which one to be more concerned about.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The state has determined 75mph is a safe maximum speed.
I would be more concerned about following distance and proximity to other vehicles when changing lanes.

Watch at 1:42 seems closer than necessary and within 5 seconds the truck is braking. Seems odd for self driving.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In AZ, these trucks are allowed to operate in all five autonomous modes but they are geofenced based on the mode. Level 5 (with non CDL driver in seat) can only operate on I-10, I-8 and I-40 and within specific limited terminal areas. The ones in that video normally operates in Level 4 which is the same system UPS has been using on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix. Arizona has been a test site for autonomous commercial vehicles since 2014 up to and including level 5 testing.

Because much of what is occurring is R&D testing, what you see (drivers hands on wheel) is not an indication of who is driving but may be a test of the steering wheel sensors or even hands to eye detection systems.

Also, since many of the trailers are not specifically designed to work with an autonomous vehicle, actions of the tractor portion will replicate on the trailer as normal. So if the tractor applies brakes to maintain a specific speed, the trailer's tail lights will reflect the braking action.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

no way is the world ready for self driving anything.

Do it all the time in my A. Set cruise control on, tie a bungy cord to the steering wheel, and go in the back to take a nap. So far so good!

[emoticon]
Bungy cord, where did you learn about the bungy cord. The sales people did not say anything about using a bungy cord, and there is nothing in the information that came with the MH about a bungy cord either.

Wildmanbaker

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bungee cords are not designed to keep your steering wheel straight while you nap, always use a proper ratchet strap.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildmanbaker wrote:

larry cad wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

no way is the world ready for self driving anything.

Do it all the time in my A. Set cruise control on, tie a bungy cord to the steering wheel, and go in the back to take a nap. So far so good!

[emoticon]
Bungy cord, where did you learn about the bungy cord. The sales people did not say anything about using a bungy cord, and there is nothing in the information that came with the MH about a bungy cord either.

Fine print! Read the fine print!

[emoticon]

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

Bungee cords are not designed to keep your steering wheel straight while you nap, always use a proper ratchet strap.

40' diesel with steer safe and IFS! Works great as far as I can tell. Most of the time I'm asleep though.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

75 is an issue how? Lot of the west has 75 speed limits and some are 80. My name was on the side and time is money. The posted speed is considered the safe speed, if there is a slow down or bad weather it's up to the driver to know whats safe, that's what they are paid for, to get the freight to it's destination safely.
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't wait to see if these self drivers exceed the CA 55 speed limit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Self Driving 18 wheeler Going 75 MPH
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.