cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best 5th wheel

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I’m looking at a new truck, with the factory puck mounting system, I’m looking for the best fifth wheel to put in it, what brand are you using and what do you like about it and what do you don’t like about it
14 REPLIES 14

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I change back and forth between gooseneck and my B&W. It is a bit of a pain but there are some advantages of using the B&W.

!. No need for safety chains with the B&W.
2 The Goose Box puts added torque on the frame of the fifth wheel trailer. Some trailers have week frames and this could end up being an issue on those trailers.
3. The B&W is a little nicer to couple and uncouple than a ball type set up.
4. If you buy a fifth wheel hitch for your truck your set to hall any gooseneck or fifth wheel type trailer.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
I also thought about the goose box but decided to go with the B&W fifth wheel hitch for one primary reason. Sometimes we travel with another couple who also has a dually and a fifth wheel, if either one of us had mechanical problems, the other one could hook up to there trailer and get it to a safe space. Money wasn’t the deciding factor because a new fifth wheel hitch and a goose box are about the same.

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
The truck has an 8 foot bed, so I don’t need a slider, I will be pulling a gooseneck trailer most of the time,The RV salesman recommended getting a Reese goose box so I don’t have to constantly be changing between the fifth wheel and the gooseneck ball , the B&W looks good , Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
Ford doesn’t sell B&W, the factory fifth wheel hitch offered from ford is made by Reese

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is the B&W that Ford sells with their trucks?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ever wonder why B&W does not make an auto slider?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AND....

IF your truck is a short bed..... The Pullrite Superglide is an awesome piece of insurance...Mine has given me 11 years of uninterrupted service, with ZERO issues... Just like anything else RV related, do the proper preventive maintenance and that should prevent MOST issues.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Be sure your truck is a long bed to start as that eliminates all the "Compromising". B&W is the BEST non air ride hitch on the market hands down.

Simple solid and no question if you are hitched!

OH if it matters they are 100% US Made unlike REESE and CURT.

x2

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure your truck is a long bed to start as that eliminates all the "Compromising". B&W is the BEST non air ride hitch on the market hands down.

Simple solid and no question if you are hitched!

OH if it matters they are 100% US Made unlike REESE and CURT.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^^And you can take that to the bank.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You are off to a good start! The puck system for FW hitch application is a huge step forward. Not all hitch makers have stepped up to meet this better system of hitch mounting. Don't get caught up in the any hitch will work, if you buy an adapter to fit the pucks.

You don't say what brand truck, or what bed length, but looking at your profile page, I'd guess you will need the B&W 3300. While there are a few other good hitches that will direct fit the pucks, IMO, none will work better than the B&W.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Best 5th wheel hitch is the one I own.
Just like our trucks there is no best.
I would look at Reese.....Anderson.....Curt...B&W....PullRite hitch systems for heavy trailers. Others have their favorites.
For a small light weight 5er just about any brand will work.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
yes Hitch

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do you mean best fifth wheel hitch?