Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Central America trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Central America trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
RV_BAR

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Everyone,
We are new to this forum and hoping to get some help from the experts here.
We are a family of 5 (kids ages 5, 7, 11) and we are looking at making a one year trip from New Jersey to Panama (or even further to South America). We are looking at leaving for the trip in July 2020.

We are looking at buying this 26' class C RV.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2017-Coachmen-LEPRECHAUN-230CB-5008272716
Is this something that you would recommend for such a trip?
If not do you have any recommendations?

Are there any families here that have done a similar route that can share their advise?

Thanks,
Yaron

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twenty-six feet, five people for a year. No, I would not recommend this. A year out school and away from the kids’ friends, grandparents, other relatives and community. No, would not recommend this. In thirteen years, when the youngest is an adult, you and DW can take this long vacation. That’s my advise.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a trip that I dream about.

I met a couple who has done it and documented it along with many more adventures.

Www.bumfuzzle.com

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

ProudCanuck42

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV_BAR wrote:

we are looking at making a one year trip from New Jersey to Panama (or even further to South America).

Thanks,
Yaron

You are aware of the Darien Gap I hope.[emoticon]

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have driven as far as Honduras twice, once with a tent (1985) and once in an RV in 1995. Great trip.

Obviously you have a lot of homework to do. Purchase the RV of your choice ASAP so you have lots of time to get use to it and the various systems that will be new to you. Learn Spanish! Duo Lingo is a great, free online program. Find out about gas prices, they are higher south of the border than in the US. You will be lucky to get 10 MPG.

Realize that many of the parts you could need that are specific to the "house" part of the RV will not be available once you cross into Mexico. Look into how/who would be able to ship to you once you leave the US.

It has the potential to be the trip of a lifetime, or the disaster of a lifetime!!!

My spouse and driver, who has driven us over 200,000 miles in Mexico alone thinks it's really important that you have some mechanical knowledge. You will break down somewhere along the line, and it is important to know what to do. There are mechanics everywhere down here, but often there will be 50 miles between them. They are centered in cities, towns and villages.

RV_BAR

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho69 wrote:

We have driven as far as Honduras twice, once with a tent (1985) and once in an RV in 1995. Great trip.

Obviously you have a lot of homework to do. Purchase the RV of your choice ASAP so you have lots of time to get use to it and the various systems that will be new to you. Learn Spanish! Duo Lingo is a great, free online program. Find out about gas prices, they are higher south of the border than in the US. You will be lucky to get 10 MPG.

Realize that many of the parts you could need that are specific to the "house" part of the RV will not be available once you cross into Mexico. Look into how/who would be able to ship to you once you leave the US.

It has the potential to be the trip of a lifetime, or the disaster of a lifetime!!!

My spouse and driver, who has driven us over 200,000 miles in Mexico alone thinks it's really important that you have some mechanical knowledge. You will break down somewhere along the line, and it is important to know what to do. There are mechanics everywhere down here, but often there will be 50 miles between them. They are centered in cities, towns and villages.

Those are very good points, thanks a lot!
Spanish we already know so got that covered.
Car mechanics we have some knowledge of but definitely looking into learning the ins and outs once we purchase the RV.

More advise will be highly appreciated.

RV_BAR

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ProudCanuck42 wrote:

RV_BAR wrote:

we are looking at making a one year trip from New Jersey to Panama (or even further to South America).

Thanks,
Yaron

You are aware of the Darien Gap I hope.[emoticon]

yes, that I know of and that is why Panama is most likely will be our final destination.

RV_BAR

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PNW_Steve wrote:

That's a trip that I dream about.

I met a couple who has done it and documented it along with many more adventures.

Www.bumfuzzle.com

I have been following these guys for sometime.
These guys are my idols [emoticon]
thanks!

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While our RV trips to Mexico were confined to 5-8 weeks with our then preteen daughter gave the wife and I lifetime happy memories. Introducing your child/children to different ways of life, time together experiencing adventures should not be missed if you can swing it.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be an amazing educational trip for the kids and you.

Bring critical spares. Water pump, per fittings for capping off leaky lines. Belts, hoses, filters, V10 spark plug. Proper water filter. Bathroom tap with shower diverter etc. Think it thru for what you will need. Duct tape. Hose clamps. Etc etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Central America trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.