Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Capri Camper - Opinions?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Capri Camper - Opinions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/20 03:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone here got a Capri Camper? If you've had it for a while, I'd be interested in your opinion as to how it's been holding up for you. Thanks.

JD5150

Anywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/07/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not own one, but I did look long and hard at them. Only way I would buy one is to buy it as a shell model. That way I could build the inside my own way. I would build it so everything is portable or easy to take out of it. Reason for this, so it would be easy to take the inside wall panel off to dry it out if a leak happen. If a leak happens there is no way to dry out the wall cavity in a hurry with all the stuff they put in it. Rot and mold will start to grow with trapped moisture inside the walls or ceiling. With the insulation they use even makes it harder to get it dry. I would be checking my seals and inside the camper weekly, after a rain storm, snow melt and after every trip to make sure it's all good.

I would also get it without the front cab window. It leaks from the beginning. They tell you that on their website. Driving in the rain when the leak happens

* This post was edited 01/07/20 06:59am by JD5150 *

realter

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2005

View Profile



Posted: 01/13/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JD, wouldn’t that be the case with every wood framed TC?

JD5150

Anywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/14/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

realter wrote:

JD, wouldn’t that be the case with every wood framed TC?


Yes, and you will still get the mildew and mold in any camper if you can't get dry air where trapped moisture is. You may not get rot in a all aluminum or composite camper but you still can get mold.

I own and operate a water damage business. I have studied all camper construction. I will only buy a shell model all aluminum or composite camper. I want to be able to take the wall/ceiling panels off to dry it out if I get a leak. Everything inside will need to come out. Versatility is the only reason I choose a TC.

Not many know about this company and they will build it like you want.
All aluminum framed and skinned inside and out. Built like a cargo trailer. If you think about it. How many cargo trailers do you see leak? I would say some can, but most cargo trailers do not leak like campers do.

Since I'm only interested in shell models..I'm looking for a wide door so I can use the camper for other things instead of camping. This company will build it with a wide door. I do not want the overhang or ramp door. Just a basic 8.5 foot to fit in a long bed truck.

Check them out.

Alumi Tech

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JD5150 wrote:

Built like a cargo trailer. If you think about it. How many cargo trailers do you see leak? I would say some can, but most cargo trailers do not leak like campers do.


Actually, there are a TON of INEXPENSIVE cargo trailers that leak like sieves. You see lots of complaints about how the contents got wet while driving in the rain.

You have to buy one of the high end (expensive) trailers from someone like Pace American or Wells Fargo to be sure you don't have that problem.

As for wooden truck campers, Capri tells you that you have to stay on top of maintenance, checking all the seams regularly and recaulking as needed. These are not something you can buy and forget.

JD5150

Anywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

JD5150 wrote:

Built like a cargo trailer. If you think about it. How many cargo trailers do you see leak? I would say some can, but most cargo trailers do not leak like campers do.


Actually, there are a TON of INEXPENSIVE cargo trailers that leak like sieves. You see lots of complaints about how the contents got wet while driving in the rain.

You have to buy one of the high end (expensive) trailers from someone like Pace American or Wells Fargo to be sure you don't have that problem.

As for wooden truck campers, Capri tells you that you have to stay on top of maintenance, checking all the seams regularly and recaulking as needed. These are not something you can buy and forget.

True. I can see that those cheap ones can leak. I've owned three cargo trailers and two were Pace and the other was an off brand but not cheap and they didn't leak.


I do like the Capri for it's light weight, price and being able to carry it on a 2500/3500 SRW truck. I was looking at both the Retreat and Cowboy

Since I do water damage restoration as my job I see a lot of rot and mold on wood. Soaks up the water.

True any camper needs maintained. I like to spend my time off playing instead of doing maintenance. I'm also looking at high rise commercial caps/toppers that will give me 61 inches of interior height on my F350. If I have a leak in one of those it won't matter. No wall panels to take off. Just open the doors and let it dry out [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Capri Camper - Opinions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.