Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford is interested in 4 wheel steering
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford is interested in 4 wheel steering

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford recently filed for a patent on for 4 wheel steering and really surprised me is that the patent implies that it will for the Super D Duty series.

Ford patent

I don't know what makes this patentable since GM had 4 wheel steering 18 years ago and others have been demonstrating 4 wheel steering recently. Hopefully the differences improve cost and reliability. I like the concept but definitely want to know the costs before purchasing one.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many, Many, MANY years ago, Ford played with 4 wheel steering on cars. At the time Jackie Stewart (famed race car driver), was recently retired and doing some consulting work for Ford. On a trip to Dearborn, he drove the 4 wheel steering prototype (Thunderbird). While most people were quicker through the slalom course, he was not. He comments was, "I never want to drive a car like that again !"

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM trucks offered optional 4 wheel steering (dubbed Quadrasteer) for a few years and it proved to be too problematic and costly to maintain.

I suspect the patent is on how they are performing the steering, not the concept. Some fellow military vets here maybe familiar with the HET trailers that have steering on them to make them more maneuverable.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around 1900 Electric cars were popular. The improvements of the gasoline car made the Electric car less popular and interest basically died out.
With the improvement of batteries, the Electric car is making a strong comeback.

Maybe Ford has new technology that will make 4 wheel steering practical and it will gain in popularity?

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder what cost it will add? Likely not worth it in my opinion. It's been around, even on cars, but usually not kept.

Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's no wonder that vehicles cost so much today. All sorts of things, good, bad and neutral, have been added. I remember when power windows, AC and a radio and much more were optional. I don't want to go back but I wish we could keep to features that are truly safety related if wanted and maybe cut the cost by thousands?

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

It's no wonder that vehicles cost so much today. All sorts of things, good, bad and neutral, have been added. I remember when power windows, AC and a radio and much more were optional. I don't want to go back but I wish we could keep to features that are truly safety related if wanted and maybe cut the cost by thousands?

I am sure that 4 wheel steer would be an option. As for what is included for safety, I feel that adaptable cruise control with automatic braking, auto wipers and auto headlights are good safety features. You may have a different opinion.

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe it will take less than 40 acres to turn one around

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Cadillac CT6 came with a 4 wheel steering option just last year.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the control & design side, it is NOT the upside of things but the Mr Murphy side of things that is the driver of decisions...along with the fine print/labels/read-me-first/etc that then CYA's the team and company

On the highway speeds...having the rear axle computer have a brain fart can kill the vehicle's occupants and neighboring vehicle occupants. Shall it go 'con' or 'pro' or even be on...then how much angular steering at those speeds where at slow speeds the higher angles would be fine

Slow speed, like the parallel parking option that many have now, it is okay as the potential to do harm is way less

As for older rear steering axles, they didn't have the level of computer power and sensors we do today. Even at that, there is a question whether there is enough (think autonomous and how it is doing today)

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford is interested in 4 wheel steering
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.